Is this fringe device possible?

In summary: The Box is a device used in the first season of the TV series, Fringe. It is a sound recorder that can reconstruct sound waves from the past.
microatx
Firstly hello everyone and sorry for my broke english,
Maybe you can remember there was some kind of sound device in the fringe. Peter Bishop designed and we've seen the observes use it too. This device was able to reconstruct a sound of past using traces left by sound's interaction with the solid. İs it possible ? How is sound interacts with solid surfaces ?

Physics news on Phys.org
microatx said:
Maybe you can remember there was some kind of sound device in the fringe. Peter Bishop designed and we've seen the observes use it too. This device was able to reconstruct a sound of past using traces left by sound's interaction with the solid. İs it possible ? How is sound interacts with solid surfaces ?
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Do you mean the Box? But that just kills people, no? What device are you thinking of that reconstructs past sounds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_(Fringe)

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Do you mean the Box? But that just kills people, no? What device are you thinking of that reconstructs past sounds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Box_(Fringe)
Actually that device seem in season 1 ep 19 first time. İn 33:32 Peter explains the working principle of the device.
Edit:Thanks for welcome

microatx said:
This device was able to reconstruct a sound of past using traces left by sound's interaction with the solid. İs it possible ?
I could not find actual references for the device but in general, such device is possible only with many time-travel related mumbo-jumbo. Solid matter is not able to store information about every sound wave it encounters and especially not possible to recall that information selectively, against all that heat-related movements of atoms, molecules and particles busily working on interfering with anything what might be 'stored' in solids.

As I recall there was also some mentions of such device in different sci-fi stories.

Likes BillTre and phinds
microatx said:
İs it possible ?
I'd say it's as possible as anything else in Fringe! I loved the show, but it's science fiction across the board, much of it was implausible if not downright impossible.

Anyway, with this device, if you think about sound and how it affects objects via vibrations of the air, a substance would need to capture and encode the vibrations, which is possible, but it then needs to stop capturing and encoding so the first vibrational record is not overwritten by the second...and third...and fourth...and so on.

You can imagine a specially crafted substance encoding sound once, but continually? If it was doing that, you'd end up with a random jumble, not a series of 'tree rings' that would make extracting sounds from any specific time achievable.

Melbourne Guy said:
I'd say it's as possible as anything else in Fringe! I loved the show, but it's science fiction across the board, much of it was implausible if not downright impossible.

Anyway, with this device, if you think about sound and how it affects objects via vibrations of the air, a substance would need to capture and encode the vibrations, which is possible, but it then needs to stop capturing and encoding so the first vibrational record is not overwritten by the second...and third...and fourth...and so on.

You can imagine a specially crafted substance encoding sound once, but continually? If it was doing that, you'd end up with a random jumble, not a series of 'tree rings' that would make extracting sounds from any specific time achievable.
How matter captures and encodes vibrations ? An interesting concept even if the device is not practically possible

microatx said:
You get a diaphragm, a stylus and a rotating wax cylinder.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/edi...ecordings/history-of-the-cylinder-phonograph/

Likes sysprog
microatx said:
How matter captures and encodes vibrations ?
Apart from being slightly more orderly and with higher amplitude, at atomic level 'vibrations' from sounds are not fundamentally different from 'vibrations' from heat.

So: by capturing it'll become heat, and regarding encoding - it just doesn't.

hutchphd said:
One of my favorite Sci-Fi ideas
Mine too. Slow glass is a brilliant concept and the story was poetically evocative.

microatx said:
How matter captures and encodes vibrations ?
There are obviously many methods to do this, @microatx, but all the ones that we know of (and use daily) are active. Fringe suggests a passive, non-specific method, and that's unlikely.

hutchphd said:
One of my favorite Sci-Fi ideas (OK its light not sound but I don't mind)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_of_Other_Days
Hey I thought the same thing recently. I didn't think of it as glass, but slowing down the light might help us see the past. Of course, we can't see before since we installed the mechanism, so the camera may make more sense. But great for invisibility

1. Is this fringe device possible?

The possibility of a fringe device depends on various factors such as the technology used, the laws of physics, and the resources available. It is important to conduct thorough research and experiments to determine the feasibility of a fringe device.

2. What is a fringe device?

A fringe device is a term used to describe a technology or device that is considered unconventional or on the fringes of mainstream science. These devices often challenge traditional scientific principles and may be met with skepticism.

3. How do you test the validity of a fringe device?

The validity of a fringe device can be tested through rigorous experiments and data analysis. It is important to use scientific methods and controls to ensure accurate results. Peer review and replication of experiments can also help determine the validity of a fringe device.

4. Are there any successful examples of fringe devices?

There are some examples of fringe devices that have been successfully developed and used, such as the microwave oven and the laser. However, these devices have gone through extensive testing and validation before being accepted by the scientific community.

5. What are the potential risks of using a fringe device?

The use of a fringe device can pose potential risks, especially if it has not been thoroughly tested and validated. It is important to consider the safety and ethical implications of using a fringe device before it is widely adopted. Additionally, there is a risk of wasting resources and time if the device does not work as intended.