Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this function continuous?

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1
    Is this function continuous? Edit: Fixed - function should load now

f\left( x \right) = e^{\left[ x \right]}

Where the argument of the exponential is the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

For the function to be continuous at a point x = a we need [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)[/tex]. For this particular function, f(x) at x = a is just f(a) where a is an integer? But what about the limit? As far as I can see this function is like a sequence so that if I looked at the graph I would just see some dots. Is it possible to take any limits with this function? For example, can I actually take lim(x->3)f(x) and get a finite value? Further, could I take lim(x->2.5)f(x) for this particular function. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Fixed f(x)...it should look right now.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2
    Take a sequence x_n in (0, 1) with x_n -> 1. If f was continuous (at 1), then f(x_n) -> f(1) = e, but [x_n] = 0, i.e. f(x_n) = e^0 = 1 -> 1. Contradiction.

Surely a similar argument can show that f is discontinuous everywhere.
  4. Jun 10, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The graph isn't "dots" it's a step function. You know what the graph of g(x)=[x] looks like? Similar thing. For limits (and continuity) can you answer these questions about g(x)=[x]? (consider left and right handed limits seperately at integers)
  5. Jun 10, 2005 #4
    let [tex]X\subseteq\Re[/tex], [tex]f: X\longrightarrow\Re[/tex] and [tex]x_{0}\in X[/tex] where X is the domain of the function, then f is continuous at [tex]x_{0}[/tex] if [tex]\forall x_{n}\in X[/tex],[tex]x_{n}\longrightarrow x_{0}[/tex] and [tex]f(x_{n})\longrightarrow f(x_{0})[/tex], you will see that if you choose a sequence on the interval [1,2] that converges to the intiger 2 for example [tex]{x_{n}}={2-\frac{1}{n}[/tex] which gives [tex]f(x_{n})\longrightarrow f(2)[/tex], but a sequence on the interval [2,3] which converges to 2 for example [tex]{x_{n}}={2+\frac{1}{n}[/tex] gives [tex]f(x_{n})\neq>f(2)[/tex]

does anybody know how to show something does not approach something else on latex?
  6. Jun 10, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\lim_{a \rightarrow b} f(a) \neq c[/tex]

7. Jun 10, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

a more interesting function would be e^(2pi)i[x]
  8. Jun 10, 2005 #7
    Thanks for the help guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?