Is the Function f(x) = e^[x] Continuous?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the given function, f(x) = e^[x], is continuous and how to show that it is not. The function is defined as the greatest integer less than or equal to x raised to the power of e. The conversation also mentions taking limits and how to prove that they do not approach a certain value using LaTeX notation. The function is compared to a step function and it is explained that it is discontinuous everywhere. A more interesting function is suggested, e^(2pi)i[x], and the conversation concludes with a thank you for the help.
Benny
Is this function continuous? Edit: Fixed - function should load now

[tex]
f\left( x \right) = e^{\left[ x \right]}
[/tex]

Where the argument of the exponential is the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

For the function to be continuous at a point x = a we need [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)[/tex]. For this particular function, f(x) at x = a is just f(a) where a is an integer? But what about the limit? As far as I can see this function is like a sequence so that if I looked at the graph I would just see some dots. Is it possible to take any limits with this function? For example, can I actually take lim(x->3)f(x) and get a finite value? Further, could I take lim(x->2.5)f(x) for this particular function. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Fixed f(x)...it should look right now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a sequence x_n in (0, 1) with x_n -> 1. If f was continuous (at 1), then f(x_n) -> f(1) = e, but [x_n] = 0, i.e. f(x_n) = e^0 = 1 -> 1. Contradiction.

Surely a similar argument can show that f is discontinuous everywhere.

Last edited:
Benny said:
As far as I can see this function is like a sequence so that if I looked at the graph I would just see some dots. Is it possible to take any limits with this function?

The graph isn't "dots" it's a step function. You know what the graph of g(x)=[x] looks like? Similar thing. For limits (and continuity) can you answer these questions about g(x)=[x]? (consider left and right handed limits seperately at integers)

let [tex]X\subseteq\Re[/tex], [tex]f: X\longrightarrow\Re[/tex] and [tex]x_{0}\in X[/tex] where X is the domain of the function, then f is continuous at [tex]x_{0}[/tex] if [tex]\forall x_{n}\in X[/tex],[tex]x_{n}\longrightarrow x_{0}[/tex] and [tex]f(x_{n})\longrightarrow f(x_{0})[/tex], you will see that if you choose a sequence on the interval [1,2] that converges to the intiger 2 for example [tex]{x_{n}}={2-\frac{1}{n}[/tex] which gives [tex]f(x_{n})\longrightarrow f(2)[/tex], but a sequence on the interval [2,3] which converges to 2 for example [tex]{x_{n}}={2+\frac{1}{n}[/tex] gives [tex]f(x_{n})\neq>f(2)[/tex]

does anybody know how to show something does not approach something else on latex?

Last edited:
steven187 said:
does anybody know how to show something does not approach something else on latex?

[tex]\lim_{a \rightarrow b} f(a) \neq c[/tex]

Hackish:
[tex]f(x)\not{\rightarrow}f(y)[/tex]

Last edited:
a more interesting function would be e^(2pi)i[x]

Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is continuity in a mathematical function?

Continuity in a mathematical function means that there are no abrupt changes or disruptions in the graph of the function. It means that the function is smooth and connected without any breaks or gaps.

2. How can I determine if a function is continuous?

To determine if a function is continuous, you can use the definition of continuity, which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. You can also check for continuity by looking at the graph of the function and making sure there are no breaks or gaps.

3. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function, where the function is continuous on each piece, but there may be a discontinuity at the points where the pieces meet.

4. Are all continuous functions differentiable?

No, not all continuous functions are differentiable. A function is differentiable if it has a derivative at every point, while a continuous function may have points where it is not differentiable, such as a sharp corner or a cusp.

5. What is the importance of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a function without having to evaluate it at every single point. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and its relationship to other functions.