F(x,y,z) Symmetry in Scalar Function g: Counterexample or Confirmation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a function f(x_1,x_2,x_3) satisfying a specific equation in three-dimensional space. The speaker has deduced that the function can be represented by a scalar function g and that it is symmetric. They also ask if the function can depend on a specific variable only and if there are any counterexamples to this.
hauho195
Today I've tried to investigate properties of a function [itex]f(x_1,x_2,x_3)[/itex] satisfying [itex]\nabla\times(f\mathbf{x})=0[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], where some degrees of the differentiability are assumed if needed.

By some basic procedures, I've deduced that: there is a scalar function g such that [itex]f=\frac{1}{x_i}\frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x_i}}[/itex] for i=1,2,3. Then I guess f is symmetric(i.e., f(x,y,z)=f(x,z,y)=f(y,x,z)=f(y,z,x)=f(z,x,y)=f(z,y,x)). Is it true? If not, is there a counterexample?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is right, and you can even show that f can depend on ##\sqrt{x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2}## only.

1. Is there an easy way to determine if a function is symmetric?

Yes, there are a few methods that can be used to determine if a function is symmetric. One method is to graph the function and see if it is symmetric about the y-axis. Another method is to check if the function is equal to its own inverse function.

2. Can a function be symmetric about more than one axis?

Yes, a function can be symmetric about more than one axis. For example, a function could be symmetric about both the x-axis and the y-axis, or it could be symmetric about the origin.

3. Are all symmetric functions also considered to be even functions?

Yes, all symmetric functions are also considered to be even functions. This means that the function is symmetric about the y-axis and has the property f(x) = f(-x).

4. What is the difference between a symmetric function and a periodic function?

A symmetric function is one that is symmetric about a specific axis or point, while a periodic function is one that repeats itself at regular intervals. A symmetric function can be periodic, but not all periodic functions are symmetric.

5. Can a function be both odd and symmetric?

No, a function cannot be both odd and symmetric. An odd function is one that is symmetric about the origin and has the property f(x) = -f(-x), while a symmetric function has the property f(x) = f(-x). These two properties cannot coexist in the same function.