Is this the correct graph for x=-1+5t when t = −2, −1, 0, 1 and 2?

• Thread starter f22archrer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
I'm still not convinced you've written the problem correctlyIn summary, the conversation discusses writing parametric and vector equations and plotting a graph for a given equation. The correct parametric equations are x = 3t - 2, y = 2t + 1, z = -3t - 5, and the correct vector equation is r = [-2, 1, -5] + t[3, 2, -3]. The discussion also includes a clarification about the use of parenthesis in the equations and confusion about the use of different parameters.
f22archrer

Homework Statement

Write the parametric and vector equations of:

x + 2 / 3 = y − 1 / 2 = z + 5/ -3

x=-1+5t
and plot a graph of this line when t = −2, −1, 0, 1 and 2.

Homework Equations

vector:
r= [-2,1,-5]+t[3,2,-3]
parametric
x=3t-2
y=2t+1
z=-3t-5

using parametric equation:: i drew the graph, please check if the graph is correct at -2,-1,0,1,,2

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• intersecting lines 002.jpg
    intersecting lines 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
f22archrer said:

Homework Statement

x=-1+5t

Homework Equations

vector:
r= [-2,1,-5]+t[3,2,-3]
parametric
x=3t-2
y=2t+1
z=-3t-5

using parametric equation:: i drew the graph, please check if the graph is correct at -2,-1,0,1,,2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where that x = -1+5t came from. But your parametric equations look correct. I didn't check all your points, but if you plotted the points to scale as apparently you did, and they came out on a straight line, aren't you pretty confident in the answers?

actually i was worried about the axis ... in specific the z axis.. i just had this gut feeling like i took -z the wrong direction ...

x=-1+5t is part of the question .

f22archrer said:

Based on your subsequent work, your symmetric equations need parentheses.

Here are the equations, using LaTeX.

$$ \frac{x + 2}{3} = \frac{y - 1}{2} = \frac{z + 5}{-3}$$

When you write them in plain text, they should look like this:

(x + 2)/3 = (y - 1)/2 = (z + 5)/(-3)

What you wrote means the following:
x + ##\frac{2}{3}## = y - ##\frac{1}{2}## = z + ##\frac{5}{-3}##

f22archrer said:

Then doesn't it seem odd that you are saying x=3t-2 in the solution? I assume when you are writing "x + 2 / 3" you mean (x+2)/3, not x+(2/3). But even assuming that, your parametric form looks screwed up. Put x=(-1)+5t into (x+2)/3=(y-1)/2 and solve for y in terms of t. The 't' in your equations is the wrong parameter. Your are going to get the same line, but the points corresponding to a given value of t will be different.

Last edited:
hey , sorry for late response but if i put x=-1+5t in [x+2]/3= [y-1]/2=[z+5]/-3 what will i get after... how do i solve for y

f22archrer said:
hey , sorry for late response but if i put x=-1+5t in [x+2]/3= [y-1]/2=[z+5]/-3 what will i get after... how do i solve for y
Are you asking how to solve
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{(-1+5t)+2}{3}=\frac{y-1}{2}[/itex]​
for y ?

Give it a try.

What do you get?

i didnt mean how i will solve it..rather i was concerned about what too do after i get the Y value

y =[5+10t]/3

f22archrer said:
i didnt mean how i will solve it..rather i was concerned about what too do after i get the y value

y =[5+10t]/3
That depends.

What is it you're trying to do next?

f22archrer said:
Then you have two different expessions for x a function of t. What are you supposed to use?

next i need to find vector and parametric equation and then plot for t ...|

This seems like a very strange way to phrase the problem, making me wonder what the exact statement of the problem is.

f22archrer said:

Homework Statement

x=-1+5t

Homework Equations

vector:
r= [-2,1,-5]+t[3,2,-3]
parametric
x=3t-2
y=2t+1
z=-3t-5

Taking the problem as you have quoted, don't use ##t## here. You apparently should write:
x=3s-2
y=2s+1
z=-3s-5
using s for your parameter. Now if x = -1+5t you can put that in and get s in terms of t. Then use that in these last three equations. Of course, this all assumes I understand what you are trying to do.

Question 1: Why is the graph not showing any data?

The most common reason for a graph not showing any data is because the data has not been properly entered or the graph is not formatted correctly. Check to make sure the data is in the correct format and that the graph is set to display the data accurately.

Question 2: How do I know if the data is accurate?

To determine if the data is accurate, you should look at the source of the data and check for any discrepancies or errors. You can also compare the data to other sources or run statistical tests to confirm its accuracy.

Question 3: Why are the labels on the graph incorrect?

The labels on a graph may be incorrect if the data was not properly labeled or if the graph was not formatted correctly. Double check that the labels match the data and that the graph is accurately representing the data.

Question 4: How can I make the graph more visually appealing?

To make a graph more visually appealing, you can use different colors, fonts, and styles to make it more engaging. You can also add visual elements such as images or illustrations to enhance the graph.

Question 5: Can I change the type of graph to better display the data?

Yes, you can change the type of graph to better display the data. Different types of graphs, such as bar graphs, line graphs, or pie charts, can be used to represent different types of data. Choose the type of graph that best suits the data you are trying to present.