1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this how you find the MLE?

1. Apr 5, 2005 #1
    I have a big test coming up, regarding estimators, but I just can't figure out the basics of maximum likilieehood.

so given this example, is this right?

p(k;theta) = theta^k * (1 - theta)^(1 - k), k = 0 1, and 0 < theta < 1.

so it's just the product of the function, and I get:

theta^K * 1 - (theta)^(sum from 1 to n of (k - n)).

then I take the natural log, and differentiate it to get

k/theta + (k - n)/ (1 - theta) = 0.

now, all I need to do is to put it in terms of theta...

first, did I do the first part right? in terms of finding the likelihoo function?

there's a lot of variables and I get confused when I do the products
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's hard to say- you haven't told us what n is or what k and theta are. Which is the parameter? Or are you doing a maximum likelihood estimate for both parameters at the same time?

In particular, I don't see any mention of a SAMPLE. The maximum likelyhood estimate for a parameter(s), given a SAMPLE, is the value of the parameter(s) that makes the probability of getting that particular sample largest.
  4. Apr 5, 2005 #3

sorry...ok, so this is a random sample of size 8 w/ x1 = 1, x2 = 0, x3 = 1, x4 = 1, x5 = 0, x6 =1, x7 = 1, and x8 = 0.

I need to find the MLE for theta.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?