Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this identity true?

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Someone told my friend, who in turn told me that this identity was true. However, I can't prove it, and when I try to use it I can't get the right answer to a rather simple problem. So, is it true that

[tex]\frac{1}{2} + \sum_{j=1}^n cos(jx) = \frac{sin([n+\frac{1}{2}]x)}{sin(\frac{x}{2})}[/tex]

?? Thx!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, try n = x = 1.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    I can't tell you off-hand whether or not that identity is true, but at least there is a very similar identity (which might be equal to the one you posted). First, note that

[tex]\cos{jx} = Re(\cos{jx} + i \sin{jx}) = Re(e^{ixj}) = Re(({e^{ix}})^j).[/tex]

The Re function is linear, which means that summing cos(jx) is equivalent to summing (e^(ix))^j and then calculating the real part of that. Hence the problem can be reduced to calculating the sum of a geometric series...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

krab

Science Advisor

Pretty nifty identity, but you forgot a factor of 2. Since the left looks like a Fourier series, you can probably prove it by multiplying by cos(mx) and integrating

6. Oct 5, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks familiar. If I remember correctly, the name is the Dirichletkernel.

[tex]D_n:=\sum_{k=-n}^n e^{ikx}=1+2\sum_{k=1}^n \cos kx[/tex]

Use a geometric expansion to find a closed form. It only works if [itex]e^{ix}\not= 1[/itex]

[tex]D_n(x)=e^{-inx}\sum_{k=0}^{2n}e^{ikx}=\frac{\sin (n+1/2)x}{\sin x/2}[/tex]

If [itex]e^{ix}\not=1[/itex] you can expand the sum geometrically. After some algeblah you'll get the answer. Treat the case [itex]e^{ix}=1[/itex] seperately.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  7. Oct 5, 2005 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

8. Oct 5, 2005 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

K, thanx, I proved it by induction like the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?