Is this inequality true? Prove or Disprove it!

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, there is an inequality that states (A+B)^p ≤ p(A^p + B^p) where p can be irrational. The binomial theorem does not seem to lead to a proof of its correctness. Additional information is needed, such as a restriction on A, B, and p, in order to prove or disprove the inequality.
twoflower
I've encountered this nice-looking inequality:

[tex]
\left(A+B\right)^{p} \le p\left(A^{p}+B^{p}\right)
[/tex]

(p can irrational as well)

but I can't find a way to prove or disprove its correctness. I've tried using the binomial theorem, but it didn't seem it would lead me to the finish.

Could someone please tell me how to prove that?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, looks nice. But there must be other premises. Taking A=0 shows you need p>=1. e.g.

What other info do you have?
For example, (2+3)^3 <= 3(2^3 + 3^3)
Nope, doesn't work.

(0 + 1)^(power) isn't going to be less than that power*(0^power + 1^power)

So, there must be some restriction on A, B, and p that you haven't stated.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that the two quantities are not equal to each other.

2. How do you determine if an inequality is correct?

To determine if an inequality is correct, you need to check if the relationship between the two quantities is accurately represented by the symbols used. You can also solve the inequality and check if the solution is valid.

3. What are the common mistakes when working with inequalities?

Some common mistakes when working with inequalities include incorrectly identifying the variable, using the wrong comparison symbol, and not following the correct order of operations when simplifying the inequality.

4. Can an inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, an inequality can have more than one solution. This is because it represents a range of numbers that satisfy the relationship between the two quantities. For example, the inequality 2x + 3 > 10 has infinitely many solutions.

5. How can inequalities be used in real life?

Inequalities can be used in real life to represent various situations, such as determining the minimum and maximum values of a quantity, comparing prices of items, and setting boundaries or constraints in problem-solving scenarios.