1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this irreducible?

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I need to figure out whether or not the polynomial
    [tex]x^6-2x^3-1[/tex]
    is irreducible (over Q).
    I don't think Eisenstein works in this case, and performing modulo 2 on this i get [tex]x^6-1[/tex]
    which is reducible over F2.
    Any ideas? Incidently, if i let y=x^3, then i get
    [tex]y^2-2y -1[/tex]
    which is irreducible over Q.....but i'm not sure if that means anything about the original polynomial.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Sure enough, Eisenstein doesn't work as there is no prime [tex] p[/tex] such that [tex] p\mid -1[/tex]. However if you reduce modulo 3, you get (i hope)
    [tex] x^6-[2]x^3-[1] = x^6+[-2]x^3+[-1] = x^6+x^3+[2][/tex] and this polynomial in [tex] Z_2[x][/tex] seems to be irreducible (at a first try I couldn't factor it in 2 polynomials of smaller degree, but you can try yourself). So if that polynomial is irreducible in [tex] Z_2[x][/tex] then [tex]x^6-2x^3-1[/tex] is irreducible in [tex] Q[x][/tex].

4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    Hmm..okay. I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to brute force hehe
    OK, so I have shown that the polynomial [tex] x^6+x^3+2[/tex] has no linear or quadratic factors over F3, but how did you show it can't factor into cubic terms? I don't really know the irreducible cubic polynomials over F3, and it seems like there might be quite a few of them?

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It won't be horrid, there are only 18 candidates for monic irreducibles of degree 3 (constant term must be non-zero), 10 of them will have roots. Trial division by the remaining 8 will be tedious though. Actually you can cut this down quite alot, if you check that none of the monic irreducibles with constant term 2 divide your polynomial, then you know none with constant term 1 do (do you see why?).

Sorry, I don't have anything quicker to offer.

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5
    Yes, great, thanks for the tip. After a little tedious work, it turns out that it is irreducible over F3, so my original polynomial was irreducible over Q. Yay, thanks a lot :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?