Is Substituting sinx/lnx Legal?

• Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of making a substitution for sinx/lnx and its integration, which is determined to be allowed as the integration of x is independent of the summation symbol n.
romsofia
Is this "legal"?

[tex]{sinx= \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^nx^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}}[/tex]

Now, let's say we take the integral of this: [tex]{\int sinx = \int \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^nx^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} = \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^n}{(2n+1)!} \int x^{2n+1}}[/tex]

Which we will get: [tex]{\sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^n}{(2n+1)!} \frac{x^{2n+2}}{2n+2}+C}[/tex]

Which of course is the power series for cosx (as we expected).

The reason why I'm asking this is, am I allowed to make this substitution for sinx/lnx?

I.e: [tex]{\int \frac{sinx}{lnx} = \int \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^nx^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}*\frac{1}{lnx} = \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^n}{(2n+1)!} \int \frac{x^{2n+1}}{lnx} = \sum^\inf_0 \frac{-1^n}{(2n+1)!} Ei((2n+2)lnx)+C}[/tex]

Thanks for your time and help.

EDIT: I think mute might've come to this conclusion a while back (I'd have to check my old threads).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

this is legal math as the integration of x is independent of the summation symbol n.

1. What is the definition of substituting sinx/lnx?

Substituting sinx/lnx refers to the mathematical process of replacing the variable x in a function with the expression sinx/lnx.

2. Is substituting sinx/lnx allowed in all types of equations?

No, substituting sinx/lnx is not allowed in all types of equations. It is only allowed in certain types of equations where the function sinx/lnx is a valid replacement for the variable x.

3. What are the limitations of substituting sinx/lnx?

The main limitation of substituting sinx/lnx is that it can only be done in equations where the function sinx/lnx is a valid replacement for the variable x. Additionally, it may not always lead to a solution for the equation.

4. Are there any special cases where substituting sinx/lnx is not allowed?

Yes, there are some special cases where substituting sinx/lnx is not allowed. For example, it is not allowed in equations where the function sinx/lnx is undefined.

5. How can I determine if substituting sinx/lnx is legal in a specific equation?

To determine if substituting sinx/lnx is legal in a specific equation, you can check if the function sinx/lnx is a valid replacement for the variable x in the equation. Additionally, you can also check if the equation leads to a solution after substituting sinx/lnx.