1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this likely?

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    Hello, I recently came into an issue in regards to my course schedule. I talked to one of the professors in the math department and suggested I not take 3 science classes as well as math 295 (hardest math sequence my school has to offer). This puts me at issue in regards to meeting the math requirements for my physics classes. I then thought maybe testing out will be a creative solution. My question is whether or not it would be likely that I go through the Spivak Calculus book and Hoffman and Kunze's Linear Algebra all the while actually understanding the material. I have approximately 4 months to do this (over summer break) before I am issued a test out exam out of math 295 and maybe 296. The topics covered in these book are calculus 1,2,3, and linear algebra (theory based).I have had experience in these topics but only in terms of computing problems (Stewart calculus).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asking if you will be able to cram a whole math course into a short time well enough to pass the final for the course?
    There is no way to tell, you have to ask someone who knows you and has seen you work.
    Those courses take that amount of time for a reason.
    Of course it is possible... I used to boast I could teach a whole paper in about a week... but I would expect you actual grade to take a hit and youd have retention trouble down the road. So much of the coursework is for practise.

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Ah, I understand the point you make. My apologies for stating a vague question. I was asking whether or not it would be likely to learn all the material in a relatively sort frame of time; however, as you stated previously, it is dependent on the person. I will most likely attempt this challenge just to gauge my abilities. Thank you.

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh sure - at worst, you will be really well prepared ;)

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5

IGU

If you want rigor (which is why you're talking about using Spivak, I'm guessing) you might want to use Apostol instead. He includes linear algebra at the end of Calculus Volume I. But these are serious books, meant for mathematicians rather than physicists. Heavy on theory. Are you sure that's what you're looking for? Understanding all the material well is not a job to be completed in four months unless you already have some good background in the subject.

7. Nov 27, 2014 #6
    What are the benefits of Apostol's math book instead of Spivak's?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook