Is this motor over-excited or under-excited

• Engineering
  • Thread starter engineeringsdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the 3-phase, 8-pole, 50Hz star connected synchronous generator with a nominal voltage of 6.6kV and synchronous reactance of 6.6 ohm is overexcited when the field current is set to give an open circuit voltage of 4.5kV per phase. This results in an output power of 2.5MW and a leading power factor of 0.033.
engineeringsdt

Homework Statement

A three phase eight pole 50 hz star connected synchronous generator operating at nominal voltage of 6.6kv line, has a synchronous reactance of 6.6 ohm and negligible losses. When the field current is set to give an open circuit voltage of 4.5kv per phase the output power from the generator is 2.5Mw.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think its overexcited because when i analyze it with the current source replaced with a voltage source E and the synchronous reactance in series with the output, the voltage source E is greater than the input voltage 3810V terminal on stator so its supplying current from the current source but I am not sure if I am right :/??,

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your post. Your analysis is correct, the generator is indeed overexcited. When the field current is set to give an open circuit voltage of 4.5kv per phase, this means that the voltage source E is greater than the input voltage of 3810V. This results in the generator supplying current to the system, hence producing an output power of 2.5MW.

To further confirm this, we can also calculate the power factor of the generator. The power factor is given by the ratio of the real power (in watts) to the apparent power (in volt-amperes). In this case, the apparent power can be calculated as 3 * 6.6kV * 3810V = 75.858MVA. The real power is given as 2.5MW. Therefore, the power factor is 2.5MW/75.858MVA = 0.033, which is a leading power factor. This further confirms that the generator is overexcited.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the definition of over-excitation and under-excitation in a motor?

Over-excitation refers to when the voltage supplied to a motor exceeds the rated voltage, causing the motor to operate at a higher speed and produce more torque. Under-excitation, on the other hand, is when the voltage supplied is lower than the rated voltage, resulting in the motor operating at a slower speed and producing less torque.

What are the effects of over-excitation and under-excitation on a motor?

Over-excitation can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the insulation, bearings, and other components. Under-excitation can lead to reduced performance and efficiency, as well as increased risk of stalling or tripping the motor's protection devices.

How can I tell if a motor is over-excited or under-excited?

You can determine the excitation level of a motor by measuring the terminal voltage and comparing it to the rated voltage. If the measured voltage is higher than the rated voltage, the motor is over-excited, and if it is lower, the motor is under-excited.

What causes a motor to become over-excited or under-excited?

Over-excitation can occur due to a number of factors, such as incorrect voltage settings, faulty voltage regulators, or voltage surges. Under-excitation can be caused by voltage drops, damaged or faulty components, or incorrect wiring.

What are the consequences of not addressing an over-excited or under-excited motor?

If left unchecked, over-excitation or under-excitation can lead to motor failure and potentially pose safety hazards. It can also result in increased energy consumption and higher operating costs. Therefore, it is important to address these issues promptly to prevent further damage and ensure the motor operates at its optimal level.