Is this name just funny in England?

• Thread starter Adrian Baker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary: Don't expect the Yanks to get it, though. They seem to think that most of their own sitcoms are funny. :rolleyes:In summary, the woman's name is just funny in England, but it's not funny in the US or Canada. Adrian Baker found the British definitions of "minge" and "minger." The definitions are unrelated, and the term is not really British humour. The short one is just such a horrible word though.
Huckleberry said:
No, drop the bomb on him Danger. Payback for that slap.
Okay. :biggrin:
Yomamma...

You're still in the wrong thread!

Franzbear is still alive and doin' fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huckleberry said:
Ok, I get what a minge is now. What is a ginger? The best funniest names are two parters.

Blimey, that woman's funny name really DOES only work in the UK! Yes, Ginger is what we refer to as red hair in the UK, and Minge has already been explained...

Imagine her coming here to visit - whenever she said her name we'd all fall about laughing.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe we should write her a letter and warn her not to go to the UK?

Must be nice to have a humor particular to the region. I wonder if there is any U.S. humor that other nations don't understand?

Huckleberry said:
Must be nice to have a humor particular to the region. I wonder if there is any U.S. humor that other nations don't understand?
Seinfeld, to start with.

Huckleberry said:

Candid camera...

scare tactics

No way, I think scare tactics should be taken off the air. Boo! The show and what they do on it sucks. Boo!

Huckleberry said:

everybody loves raymond
i don't think you guys have a perticular sense of humor, i just think you guys have no sense of humor... well majority anyways, i am not pointing fingers at any of you

I hate Everybody Loves Raymond. All sitcoms should be taken off the air.

Did you brits like Whose Line Is It Anyway? It was pretty funny, the UK version. But when it transferred over to ABC, it turned HILARIOUS! That is the funniest show I've ever seen in my life.

"It's a wonder I'm here at all, you know. My kitty got soakin' wet. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left."

Wow, it never even occurred to me that gingernuts weren't even called ginger elsewhere!

We really should invite Ginger Minge on a tour of the UK, photographing peoples' reactions when she introduces herself.

Mk said:
"It's a wonder I'm here at all, you know. My kitty got soakin' wet. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left."

Ahh yes, good old clean Are You Being Served? fun from the BBC.

One which I never imagined would travel well to North America was The Thin Blue Line.

"Your cock-up, my arse!" and "My arse is on the line, and you have got to pull your finger out!", just a few of Tosh's pearls of excellence.

brewnog said:
"Your cock-up, my arse!" and "My arse is on the line, and you have got to pull your finger out!", just a few of Tosh's pearls of excellence.

:rofl:
Unintended innuendo, can't beat it!

brewnog said:
Wow, it never even occurred to me that gingernuts weren't even called ginger elsewhere!

We really should invite Ginger Minge on a tour of the UK, photographing peoples' reactions when she introduces herself.

That would be one way to make Candid Camera funny!

Mk said:
I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was when Brewnog pointed out later that you were quoting something there.

Whilst on the subject of names we Brits find funny... What about that book (and TV Drama) called "Fanny by Gaslight"

I know that in the US, Fanny means 'butt' but it sure doesn't in the UK!

My wife (before we married) moved to Boston MA, and joined an aerobics class. After about 20 mins exercise the teacher said "Right, now let's exercise those fanny muscles"
She knew that Americans were a little less reserved than us Brits, but blimey - it was only her first visit

A few weeks later I went out to Boston to see her and, (having just given up smoking) whilst drinking in a bar I said (perhaps a little too loudly) "Boy I could do with a Fag"
This made the bar go quiet, and people stared at me... Apparently a fag isn't a cigarette in the US!

You have to be careful what you say and do when you go abroad!

brewnog said:

Now that would make for good comedy television.

I don't like scare tactics. I'm not a fan of Everyone Loves Raymond, but it is a very popular show here. So was Seinfeld. I do like candid camera for its slapstick value. I've heard bad things about correlations of slapstick and low intelligence, but whatever. I like it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Adrian Baker said:
I went out to Boston to see her and, (having just given up smoking) whilst drinking in a bar I said (perhaps a little too loudly) "Boy I could do with a Fag"

Yeah, with a bit of hindsight it's quite easy to see where you went wrong on that one!

I really confused a yank in the UK a few months ago by asking him if he wanted to "come out and get twatted" with me. He'd only just learned the meaning of the word 'twat' the day before.

I never heard from him again after that!

brewnog said:
I never heard from him again after that!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: