Is this non-integrable function integrable using numerical methods?

• Thread starter Severian
  • Start date
In summary, the function described is a constant, and can be solved easily by using integration by parts.
Severian
I am interested in the integral

[tex]\int e^{2 \pi i \left( x^3+ax^2+bx \right) } dx[/tex]

Since [tex]\int e^{-x^2} dx[/tex] is non-integrable, I suspect this integral may be too, but I am not so sure because of the exponent being imaginary. Does anyone know?

If it is integrable, does anyone have any idea how to go about solving it?

If it is not integrable, does anyone have any idea how to most efficiently evaluate it numerically (from say 0 to an arbitrary [tex]x_0[/tex])?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful about the term "non-integrable". Strictly speaking, any continuous function, such as [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] is "integrable". It's just that its integral is not any "elementary function". [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] certainly is integrable- its integral is the error function, Erf(x).

Since I notice an "i" in your integral, it looks like it would be more appropriate to integrate it in the Complex plane.

Yes, of course [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] is integrable. Silly me!

Some sort of hypergeometric maybe?

Last edited:
I suggest integrating the real and complex parts separately. These are easily separable by Euler's formula.

That doesn't really help much because I still don't know how to do [tex]\int \sin \left[ 2\pi (x^3+ax^2+bx ) \right] dx [/tex] or its cosine counterpart.

Severian said:
I am interested in the integral

[tex]\int e^{2 \pi i \left( x^3+ax^2+bx \right) } dx[/tex]
Does anyone know?

You could try applying integration by parts twice, and seeing if you get something that cancels, since you'll get a sign chance by pulling the i out of the exponent twice.

Hey Severian, is this the same one from Scienceforums.net? Its Ragib from there.

I believe the function you described is a constant since the function could be rewritten as [tex](e^{2\pi i})^{x^3+ax^2+bx}[/tex]. Since e^(2*pi*i) is equal to 1, and 1 to the power of anything is 1, I think we have a constant valued function, this should be easy from there, If i am correct.

EDIT: btw, as you prob know, the integral is then x + C.

Last edited:
^ That isn't true in general. By that logic, Fourier transforms would be much simpler than they are. Infact, if it were true, anything which is of the form

[tex]\int f(x)e^{ikx}dx[/tex]

would be

[tex]2\pi \int f(2\pi y)e^{i2\pi k y}dy = 2\pi \int f(2\pi y)(e^{2\pi i})^{ky}dy = 2\pi \int f(2\pi y)dy = \int f(x) dx[/tex]

This would mean that Fourier transforming something is just integrating it. That's obviously not true. It's true if you were integrating the modulus of the integrand, but you're not. Instead you're considering it's complex value. So while you'd have

[tex]\int |e^{2\pi i kx}| dx = \int dx = x+c[/tex]

You get something else when you don't have the | | signs.

Aww ok then, I am not going to be of any help here then.

you might try the taylor series for your function, as they are easy to integrate term by term.

1. What does it mean for something to be non-integrable?

Non-integrability refers to a mathematical concept where a function or equation cannot be solved using traditional integration methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus. This means that the integral of the function cannot be expressed as a simple formula and may require more complex techniques or approximations.

2. How can I determine if something is non-integrable?

There is no simple or straightforward way to determine if something is non-integrable. It often requires a thorough understanding of the function or equation in question and knowledge of various integration techniques. In some cases, it may also require numerical or computational methods to approximate the integral.

3. What are some common examples of non-integrable functions?

Some common examples of non-integrable functions include the Gaussian integral, the error function, and the logarithmic integral. These functions cannot be evaluated using traditional integration methods and require special techniques to approximate their integrals.

4. Is there any significance to something being non-integrable?

Yes, the concept of non-integrability has significant implications in mathematics and physics. It is often associated with chaotic or unpredictable behavior, as non-integrable systems are difficult to model and analyze. Non-integrability also plays a crucial role in the study of dynamical systems and differential equations.

5. Can non-integrable functions be useful in any way?

While non-integrable functions may pose challenges in mathematics and physics, they can also be useful in certain applications. For example, they can be used to model complex and chaotic systems, such as weather patterns or stock market fluctuations. Additionally, non-integrable functions have practical applications in various fields, including signal processing and data compression.