Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Is this online status a bug?

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    There is this square that says Members Online Now where pics of Mentors appear. I noticed that at times, I log out and a picture of a Mentor appears immediately there. I log in and it's gone. Log out again and it appears. Log in, gone. Log out - it's there!

Is that a bug? :oldconfused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a caching issue. One version is slightly outdated.

Edit: No, turned out to be a bug, see below.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    I see. I wonder whether it is on my side or server side.

I just tested at two separate web browsers and at this very instant you appear online in another web browser I have open and me not logged in, but on this one in which I am logged in you don't appear online no matter how much I refresh the page. :confused: I deleted the history and cache on this browser where I am logged in except the cookies of course (because otherwise I would go offline), but still.

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Oh, then the bug could be more interesting, because I should not appear as logged in. Maybe logged out the invisibility setting gets ignored.

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I thought that it was that some folks (like me, mwhahaha) hide their status from logged in members. Once you’re logged out though, you can see all the hidden members. That’s why some members’ names are greyed out.

7. Apr 10, 2016 #6
    Maybe. I thought that too.

I thought that maybe some members were using invisible setting, but that such setting (because of the bug) only affected logged in users so that they would not see online users with the setting. For those that are offline, they could see everyone online. And thought that if it wasn't a bug in one way it was in another. :smile:

8. Apr 10, 2016 #7
    lol. I noticed too that some were greyed out. But I thought they grey color was just to make it easier to read in between all the cramped text.

9. Apr 10, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Well, you shouldn't have more rights when logged out...
    A bug for @Greg Bernhardt.

10. Apr 10, 2016 #9
  11. Apr 10, 2016 #10
  12. Apr 10, 2016 #11
    You can set some privacy for what members and guests see of you. mfb might have it set where members can see him online, but guests can't. This might explain what you are seeing.

13. Apr 10, 2016 #12
    Ohhh. I see him when I'm logged out (as a guest), but not when I'm logged in (as a member). That is the opposite of your example. I'm not sure if that can happen with the settings you mention.

But you know better how it works :smile:, I have no idea what are those settings.

14. Apr 10, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

You cannot set it separately for different visitor groups. Either you show your online status or you don't. But apparently guests are able to ignore that setting - a right that they should not have.

15. Apr 11, 2016 #14
    This issue has been fixed

16. Apr 12, 2016 #15
    Now it looks really empty. :DD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted