Is this person wrong?

They said this: "Luckily, joules are equivalent to one newton's energy transfer across one meter of stuff, which means we can still get our answer, since joules are convertible to TNT megatons. 5.37498 x 10^31 newtons is 5.37498 10^37 joules per meter"

How??? shouldnt the exponent be the same for the joules?

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Please reference where this statement is taken from.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I suggest paying absolutely no attention to that "answer" whatsoever.

I suggest paying absolutely no attention to that "answer" whatsoever.
ok. why?

Because it contains a large number of erroneous statements.
like the joules not being = to newtons, but what else?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
like the joules not being = to newtons, but what else?
Isn't that enough?

You yourself pointed out the discrepancy in the exponents of the "conversion".

I suspect the author's degree will be one of those "self-awarded" B.S. degrees - all B.S., no substance.

Isn't that enough?

You yourself pointed out the discrepancy in the exponents of the "conversion".

I suspect the author's degree will be one of those "self-awarded" B.S. degrees - all B.S., no substance.
so much for a oppterunty to learn things i do not know

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You have lots of opportunities to learn things you do not know. The internet generally is only a good place to do it if you have reliable resources. Physics Forums has a large amount of knowledgable members and you will often get great answers. We are not a replacement for a textbook though.

You have lots of opportunities to learn things you do not know. The internet generally is only a good place to do it if you have reliable resources. Physics Forums has a large amount of knowledgable members and you will often get great answers. We are not a replacement for a textbook though.
becuz u guys dont want to help me learn simple things, cuz you clearly have your own little clique. w/e im done here, you guys need to learn how to treat people

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
becuz u guys dont want to help me learn simple things, cuz you clearly have your own little clique. w/e im done here, you guys need to learn how to treat people
Nonsense. We just don't feel like pointing out every little error in someone's post online. Did you expect us to?

256bits
Gold Member
As pointed out, ignore the article.

You have learned something.
The article has errors.
You have pointed out one error.
Posters are agreeing with you.
Thus, you have learned that your own physics knowledge may be better than that of the author.
Thus, move on from that that article.

A blatant error such as the one below shows that the has author has taken as little as possible effort to get, or to make sure, things are correct.
Thanks to Newton and the SI unit system, this is easy to figure out. Newton's Second Law says the Force equals speed times acceleration.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
5.37498 x 10^31 newtons is 5.37498 10^37 joules per meter"

How??? shouldnt the exponent be the same for the joules?
If this is your question, then yes, the exponents should indeed be equal.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I honestly have a really hard time to imagine how this was the conclusion you drew from my post ...

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Looks like OP has got his answer. His source is unreliable and contains multiple errors.

Thread closed.