Is this physics course helpful for Electrical Engineers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of a course on vibrations and mechanical waves in electrical engineering. The person is considering studying the course on their own for fun, but wants to know how useful it will be for their studies. It is mentioned that waves are important in EE, but the course may have limited usefulness. The person is also considering studying linear algebra or learning C++ instead.
FancyNut
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-03Fall-2004/CourseHome/index.htm [Broken]

I know after Electricity and Magnetism there's Electromagnetic Waves, but I never encountered any course on vibrations and mechanical waves in my school's catalog for electrical engineering.

So I'm thinking of studying this on my own, just for fun. However, I'd like to know how relevant it is to EE so I thought I'd ask here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FancyNut said:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-03Fall-2004/CourseHome/index.htm [Broken]

I know after Electricity and Magnetism there's Electromagnetic Waves, but I never encountered any course on vibrations and mechanical waves in my school's catalog for electrical engineering.

So I'm thinking of studying this on my own, just for fun. However, I'd like to know how relevant it is to EE so I thought I'd ask here. :)

although waves are important to studying EE, this particular course looks like it has somewhat limited usefulness for your studies. it does, however, look like it might be fun.
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Limited huh..

I'm thinking now I should devote the time for that course to study linear algebra (there are also mit video lectures on it) or pick a self-learning book for C++. Man if only I used my time in high school well. :grumpy:

I feel that all information is good information. you never know what direction your work will take you. if you had told me I would be working in electromagnetics when I was in college I would have laughed it off, but here I am...

1. Is this physics course specifically designed for Electrical Engineers?

No, this physics course is a general physics course and covers fundamental principles that are applicable to all branches of engineering, including electrical engineering.

2. Will this physics course cover topics that are directly relevant to my studies as an Electrical Engineer?

Yes, this physics course will cover topics such as electricity, magnetism, circuits, and electromagnetic fields, which are directly relevant to the study of electrical engineering.

3. Can this physics course help improve my problem-solving skills as an Electrical Engineer?

Yes, this physics course will provide you with the necessary tools and techniques to solve complex problems, which will be beneficial in your career as an Electrical Engineer.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking this physics course as an Electrical Engineer?

Generally, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and algebra, is recommended for success in this physics course as an Electrical Engineer.

5. Can this physics course help me understand the theoretical concepts behind electrical engineering?

Yes, this physics course will cover theoretical concepts such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and Faraday's Law, which are essential for understanding electrical engineering principles and applications.