Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possable ?

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1
    I am a big Sci-fi fan, i admit it , i love stargate , and it was only about 30 years ago that shows like Star trek had technology like transporters and Ion Drives.

While 30 years ago they did have Ion Drives , they didnt have transporters until about 5 years ago , you would have herd about those guys that transported the Rock in the desert in the USA.

However the reason for my post , i was watching some of the old classic Stargate episodes , when i was watching the Episode "Tangent". In that episode they had a Drive that

I asked this same Question on the Sci-fi Site and they told me to ask a Physics forum. So any of you have any idea on the Science behind this , is it possible , etc...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There was a Star Trek episode where they moved a moon by extending their warp field around it and lowering the universal gravitational constant inside the field. Similar idea, but a field that would change the definition of inertia. Anyway, sorry, but this is strictly science fiction - as is, I'm sorry to report, teleportation.

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What ??!! :eek: I suppose you don't mean 'transported' as in FedEx Ground ? Do you have a link to this ?

5. Nov 13, 2004 #4
  6. Nov 13, 2004 #5
  7. Nov 13, 2004 #6
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/madhurya/MTPAPER.htm

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  8. Nov 13, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Darkwanderer, none of those links say anything about a rock and none of the technologies being described (while very much real) are anywhere close to Star Trek style teleportation. The media likes to inflate science news, so you need to beware of extrordinary claims. Plus, most of those sites look like conspiracy theory websites - for which I have a very weak stomach.

Please be aware, we don't give a lot of slack for unscientific discussion here - especially not in the engineering section.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  9. Nov 13, 2004 #8

GENIERE

Science Advisor

10. Nov 14, 2004 #9
  11. Nov 14, 2004 #10

russ_watters

Quantum teleportation is a long way from Star Trek style transporters.

12. Nov 15, 2004 #11
    Yea , offcorse , but they are getting there , anyway , getting back to the topic , what would be the theory of the drive , i have been doing some research into Anti-gravity drives , is it the same sorta thing or is that different;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?