Combining a Passion for Physics and Engineering: Possibilities and Opportunities

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: He was a genius and had a lot of interesting things to say, but he also had a lot of bad habits. He was a great inventor though.In summary, Nikola Tesla did not finish college, but he was a great inventor. He loved what he studied and followed his passions. He had a lot of bad habits, but he was a genius.
nst.john
I love physics and the advanced knowledge the field has, but I also love making applications and building things like engineers do. Would it be possible for me to get my undergraduate in physics, to get a masters in engineering (preferably electrical engineering) and then get a doctorate in either quantum, particle or condensed matter physics? If this is possible how long would it take, and what kind of opportunities would be out there for me if I did do this. I would like to be someone like a Nikola Tesla, so in other words would this help me get to do the types of things that he did, along with some of my own ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is:

Take your undergraduate in something you love/want and THEN think about masters and PhD. You'll get to love stuff in undergraduate, and you'll get to hate stuff. No point in choosing the next 10years of your life right now.

Would it be possible for me to get my undergraduate in physics, to get a masters in engineering (preferably electrical engineering) and then get a doctorate in either quantum, particle or condensed matter physics?
Yes. The details will depend on the school and you ability to pass exams (and how much you care about the grades.)

If this is possible how long would it take, and what kind of opportunities would be out there for me if I did do this.
Pretty much the same an engineering or physics normally would. With very good grades you could go work for an industrialist like Tesla did... but resign just as your achievements get recognition.

I would like to be someone like a Nikola Tesla, so in other words would this help me get to do the types of things that he did, along with some of my own ideas?
In that case you are going about it the wrong way - you should flunk out of college and go on tour with your inventions which will be subtle and brilliant. You have read his bio right?

Crake is correct, however. Tesla has a spectacular career but he did not set out to.
He just studied what he loved and followed his passions as completely as he could.

Check out the engineering physics B.S as well, for the first two years of undergrad just start to develop an idea of what you want to major in, declare your major, and go from there. In other words, make the most of the two years you have before declaring a major by speaking with faculty and students in their respective programs.

What you're considering to do, however, would take a long time and in the long run probably wouldn’t provide much benefit. An undergrad to PhD route bypassing the masters in the sub field you're interested in would be the surest bet. You could always consider a dual undergrad in physics and electrical engineering, if allowed.

Further, I don’t believe Nikola finished much of his schooling, different times; there was a lot more low hanging fruit back then.

Simon Bridge said:
In that case you are going about it the wrong way - you should flunk out of college and go on tour with your inventions which will be subtle and brilliant. You have read his bio right?

Don't forget about the gambling, you need to become a proficient gambler.

The man had a very interesting life.

1. Is it possible to travel through time?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports time travel. While it is a popular concept in science fiction, it remains a theoretical possibility and is not yet considered scientifically possible.

2. Can we clone humans?

Human cloning is a highly controversial topic and is currently not allowed in most countries. While some animals have been successfully cloned, the process is still highly inefficient and not without ethical concerns.

3. Is teleportation possible?

Teleportation, or the instant transfer of matter from one location to another, is not currently possible. While some particles have been teleported in small-scale experiments, it is not yet feasible for larger objects like humans.

4. Can we create a perpetual motion machine?

A perpetual motion machine, or a device that can generate infinite energy without any external input, is not possible due to the laws of thermodynamics. These laws state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

5. Is it possible to live forever?

While scientists are constantly working on ways to extend human lifespan, it is currently not possible to live forever. The human body has a natural limit to its lifespan, and even with advances in technology, it is unlikely that we will ever be able to completely reverse the aging process.