1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possible and/or stupid?

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    I love physics and the advanced knowledge the field has, but I also love making applications and building things like engineers do. Would it be possible for me to get my undergraduate in physics, to get a masters in engineering (preferably electrical engineering) and then get a doctorate in either quantum, particle or condensed matter physics? If this is possible how long would it take, and what kind of opportunities would be out there for me if I did do this. I would like to be someone like a Nikola Tesla, so in other words would this help me get to do the types of things that he did, along with some of my own ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2
    My advice is:

Take your undergraduate in something you love/want and THEN think about masters and PhD. You'll get to love stuff in undergraduate, and you'll get to hate stuff. No point in choosing the next 10years of your life right now.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. The details will depend on the school and you ability to pass exams (and how much you care about the grades.)

Pretty much the same an engineering or physics normally would. With very good grades you could go work for an industrialist like Tesla did... but resign just as your achievements get recognition.

In that case you are going about it the wrong way - you should flunk out of college and go on tour with your inventions which will be subtle and brilliant. You have read his bio right?

Crake is correct, however. Tesla has a spectacular career but he did not set out to.
    He just studied what he loved and followed his passions as completely as he could.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out the engineering physics B.S as well, for the first two years of undergrad just start to develop an idea of what you want to major in, declare your major, and go from there. In other words, make the most of the two years you have before declaring a major by speaking with faculty and students in their respective programs.

What you're considering to do, however, would take a long time and in the long run probably wouldn’t provide much benefit. An undergrad to PhD route bypassing the masters in the sub field you're interested in would be the surest bet. You could always consider a dual undergrad in physics and electrical engineering, if allowed.

Further, I don’t believe Nikola finished much of his schooling, different times; there was a lot more low hanging fruit back then.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget about the gambling, you need to become a proficient gambler.

The man had a very interesting life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook