Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possible?

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to slow down beta decay in cobalt 60 by cooling it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nope. Radioactivity isn't a thermal effect, nor is it influenced by temperature.

Zz.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

I thought everything was slowed by cooler temperature. Theoretically, would beta decay still occur at Absolute Zero?

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    I'm now confused as to why my physics teacher said it was a plausible experiment.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But beta decay is governed by WEAK INTERACTION. Heat/temperature is more of molecular vibrations mediated by EM interaction. These two are completely different mechanism.

If it is influenced by temperature, then the half life of everything must be tabulated with the corresponding temperature. You don't see this in CRC Handbook.

Zz.

7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

arivero

Gold Member

The bibliography in successful attempts to vary decay rates via physico-chemical influence is scarce. I thing the greatest resported variation is about 10%, and I can not remmber what substance was involved.

So yes, it is a plausible experiment, as double beta decay is: unlikely, but measurable, and interesting if you get positive results.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7

arivero

Gold Member

Hmm if quantum mechanics were a theory of hidden variables, then we could consider these variables as contributing to temperature. It is more of a redefinition of the concept of Temperature (and Absolute Zero), isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?