1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possible?

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    A bugle is essentially a 2.65m pipe that is open at both ands. Determine the lowest frequency notes that can be played on a bugle.

Is this question possible? after using every equation learned to my knowledge, i could find no way to determine the frequency.

Thank you

remember the formulas v=f(lambda) Ln=nlambda/2 for open tube and v=331 +.59(T)

i found wavelength without a problem which turns out to be 5.3m, but how do i find frequency of this? is it possible?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by finding the wavelength of the lowest frequency (which is the largest wavelength) standing wave that will fit into that pipe. Hint: Where are the nodes and antinodes?

Once you have the wavelength, use the relationship between speed, frequency, and wavelength to find the associated frequency. What's the speed of sound?
  4. Dec 7, 2006 #3
    but, my friend, we do not have a temperature for sound to find its true velocity, therefore insn't it impossible to find the true frequency?

we are not given the true velocity. yes i know it is 331m/s, but we are not given temperature to find the true frequency. the book has an answer of 64.9Hz if youd like to know
  5. Dec 7, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With a question like this you can just assume normal room temperature in which case the speed of sound is 344m/s.
  6. Dec 7, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's true. If you are not given enough information (such as temperature) to find an accurate speed of sound, then you must settle for a less accurate estimate of the frequency.

Edit: Kurdt has the right idea! Just assume standard room temperature, which is nominally ~ 22 C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?