Find Frequency of Notes Played on a Bugle

• Thread starter mrjoe2
  • Start date
In summary, to determine the lowest frequency notes that can be played on a bugle, you need to find the wavelength of the lowest frequency standing wave that will fit into the 2.65m pipe and then use the relationship between speed, frequency, and wavelength to find the associated frequency. However, if you are not given enough information to find an accurate speed of sound, you can assume standard room temperature and settle for a less accurate estimate of the frequency.
mrjoe2
A bugle is essentially a 2.65m pipe that is open at both ands. Determine the lowest frequency notes that can be played on a bugle.

Is this question possible? after using every equation learned to my knowledge, i could find no way to determine the frequency.

Thank you

remember the formulas v=f(lambda) Ln=nlambda/2 for open tube and v=331 +.59(T)

i found wavelength without a problem which turns out to be 5.3m, but how do i find frequency of this? is it possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the wavelength of the lowest frequency (which is the largest wavelength) standing wave that will fit into that pipe. Hint: Where are the nodes and antinodes?

Once you have the wavelength, use the relationship between speed, frequency, and wavelength to find the associated frequency. What's the speed of sound?

Last edited:
but, my friend, we do not have a temperature for sound to find its true velocity, therefore insn't it impossible to find the true frequency?

we are not given the true velocity. yes i know it is 331m/s, but we are not given temperature to find the true frequency. the book has an answer of 64.9Hz if youd like to know

Last edited:
With a question like this you can just assume normal room temperature in which case the speed of sound is 344m/s.

mrjoe2 said:
but, my friend, we do not have a temperature for sound to find its true velocity, therefore insn't it impossible to find the true frequency?

That's true. If you are not given enough information (such as temperature) to find an accurate speed of sound, then you must settle for a less accurate estimate of the frequency.

Edit: Kurdt has the right idea! Just assume standard room temperature, which is nominally ~ 22 C.

Last edited:

1. How do you find the frequency of notes played on a bugle?

The frequency of notes played on a bugle can be found by using a frequency analyzer or a tuning app. These tools measure the pitch of the sound and display the frequency in hertz (Hz).

2. What is the frequency range of a bugle?

The standard bugle has a frequency range of approximately 200 Hz to 800 Hz. However, this can vary depending on the size and shape of the bugle.

3. Can you determine the frequency of specific notes on a bugle?

Yes, you can determine the frequency of specific notes on a bugle by using a musical tuner or a frequency analyzer. These tools can detect the exact pitch of each note played on the bugle.

4. How does the length of the bugle affect the frequency of the notes?

The length of the bugle has a direct impact on the frequency of the notes played. The longer the bugle, the lower the frequency of the notes will be. Conversely, a shorter bugle will produce higher frequency notes.

5. Can you estimate the frequency of a bugle note without using any tools?

It is possible to estimate the frequency of a bugle note without using any tools by comparing it to a known pitch or note from a musical instrument. However, this method may not be accurate and using a frequency analyzer or tuner is recommended for precise measurements.