Solve y''-4=0: Find Function for y'=0, y=1 when x=2

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
In summary, the given question asks to find the function given that y' = 0 and y = 1 when x = 2, and y'' - 4 = 0. After analyzing the initial conditions and the given equation, it is determined that the function is y = 1.
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

If y'=0 and y=1 when x=2, and y''-4=0, find the function.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\int\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate posting this because I am pretty sure the solution is easy but I just can't seem to see through this question...

If y'=0 then there must be no x term in the function f(x)... thus y=C is the only possibility. So then y=1 is the only possibility for the initial conditions given... And if y''=4 then shouldn't y'=4x+C? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
dontdisturbmycircles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\int\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate posting this because I am pretty sure the solution is easy but I just can't seem to see through this question...

If y'=0 then there must be no x term in the function f(x)... thus y=C is the only possibility. So then y=1 is the only possibility for the initial conditions given... And if y''=4 then shouldn't y'=4x+C? :/

The boundary values are y(2) = 1 and..? What do you mean by y' = 0? For which x is this true?

Have you tried solving the equation y" - 4 =0, and then applying the initial conditions?

If y'=0 then there must be no x term in the function f(x)... thus y=C is the only possibility. So then y=1 is the only possibility for the initial conditions given...

Remember, they are not the general expression as a function of x; those are values of the function and its derivative at the point x = 2.

dontdisturbmycircles said:

Homework Statement

These intial conditions are y'(2)=0 and y(2)=1. You have assumed y'=0 for all x.

Ahhh okay I was misreading the damned question, :redface:... I kinda thought it was worded funny... Trying to breeze through my homework too fast I guess.

Sorry! Thanks all, I get it now :-)

It didn't occur to you that is y'= 0 for all x, then y" couldn't be 4!:rolleyes:

Yes I knew it was impossible as well. But I figured that the question was not written wrong, I should have reread the question more carefully but I was in too much of a hurry(was due in like 10 minutes). My appologies.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Solve y''-4=0?"

This equation is asking for the value of y'' that will make the entire equation equal to zero.

2. What does "Find Function for y'=0" mean?

This means finding a function for y that will make its derivative (y') equal to zero.

3. How do I solve for y when x=2?

To solve for y, plug in the given value of x (in this case, 2) into the equation and solve for y.

4. What is the value of y when x=2 in this equation?

The value of y when x=2 can be found by solving the equation with the given value of x.

5. How does the value of y=1 affect the solution?

The value of y=1 is a specific point on the graph of the function and it may affect the shape or behavior of the function. In this case, it is a point on the graph when x=2, but it does not directly affect the solution of the equation.