Can this be Done? | Solutions to Uncertainty

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a spring to produce a jerking motion in the outer magnet arm of a magnetic car, causing it to move forward. However, it was concluded that only an external force can cause the system to accelerate, as internal forces will just cancel out. Additionally, the conservation of linear momentum and Euler's First Law were mentioned as principles governing the movement of the system.
quietrain
17emhu.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

to tell the truth, i don't know :(

No because the magnets are pulling towards each other, to put it another way; have you ever tried to fly by reaching down and pulling your feet up?

quietrain said:
to tell the truth, i don't know :(
Consider the net force on the system.

what if i install a spring at the top right corner of the holder, such that i can swing the outer magnet outwards anticlockwise,

like using the spring to produce a jerking circular motion of the outer magnet outwards,

will i be able to now cause the car to move forward abit?

since now the net force is +ve forward?

If you put a spring on the top right what do you think will happen? Consider A) the bottom of the arm has a magnet near a magnet and B) what happens when you hold a spring at arms length facing down (does it oscillate forever)?

well, the forever part can come later, but for now, i am thinking of this type of spring,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOm6KkS1i4m1sqlPyxhyFRAEU9d1-0YY1wjgd2kmoi8vjnedOtmQ.jpg

so maybe i can make use of the stored force when the spring is compressed , and then "release" the compressed spring so that i jerk the outer magnet arm forward.

it will now cause the car to move forward?

No matter what you do you every action has an equal and opposite reaction

If you jerk the arm anticlockwise it will exert a backwards force equal to that of the forward force. The rear magnet is pulling the front magnet back remember

ah i see...

so there's no way that internal forces can ever make the system do work? only an external can?

thx

Visualise it this way, if you and me were in space connected by a /\ shaped beam and joined hands to pull at each other would we fly through space? No, we would just put force on the beam connecting us. Even if one of us pulled harder than the other the effect is the same.

Some energy or mass has to leave the system I.e. exhaust from a rocket. Look up Newtons laws, that should explain it all.

quietrain said:
ah i see...

so there's no way that internal forces can ever make the system do work? only an external can?
I'd put it this way: The only way to accelerate the system is by using an external force. (Internal forces will just cancel out.)

Also, check out the conservation of linear momentum and Euler's First Law. The man, car, and 2 magnets in your diagram constitute a system. The system has a center of mass.

Essentially, Euler's First Law states that only an external force acting on a system can change the speed of the center of mass of a system.

1. Can uncertainty be completely eliminated?

No, uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated. Uncertainty is a natural part of life and is present in every scientific problem. However, it can be minimized through careful analysis and consideration of all available data and evidence.

2. How can we deal with uncertainty in scientific research?

Uncertainty in scientific research can be dealt with by using statistical methods, conducting further experiments to gather more data, and by being transparent about the limitations of the research. Collaboration with other scientists and peer-review can also help to reduce uncertainty.

3. What are some common sources of uncertainty in scientific studies?

Some common sources of uncertainty in scientific studies include measurement error, sampling error, and human error. Other sources can include limitations in technology, complexity of the problem, and external factors that may affect the results.

4. How can we communicate uncertainty to the public?

Communicating uncertainty to the public is important to maintain transparency and avoid misunderstandings. Scientists can use visual aids, clear language, and provide a range of possible outcomes or confidence intervals to convey uncertainty. It is also important to acknowledge what is known and what is still uncertain.

5. Can uncertainty lead to incorrect conclusions?

Yes, uncertainty can lead to incorrect conclusions if it is not properly addressed and considered in the research process. It is important for scientists to carefully evaluate the level of uncertainty and account for it in their analysis and conclusions. Communication and collaboration with other experts can also help to reduce the risk of incorrect conclusions.