Charge Battery Through Water: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter techtalk
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to transfer power through water, but it is difficult and requires a lot of power.
techtalk
Hi,
Im a young entrepreneur with absolutely no electrical engineering experience whatsoever. I've thought of a product that I think might be viable but I need to make sure its possible.

It would require an object to charge through water. Is this possible? For example, as an analogy imagine an object floating in a bucket of water. This object uses electricity but instead of having to take it out and replace its batteries all the time is there any way to recharge its battery through the water? I've read a little about inductive charging but being that I don't have electrical engineering experience I don't really understand whether or not its what I am looking for. And furthermore, I don't understand how to apply it. Are there any other methods? What if there was an open current through the water (better not touch it), will it charge the battery? (that seems a little too simple to work but hey can't hurt asking)

Thanks, I appreciate any insight you guys can give.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It really depends on the actual setup. How much power do you need to transfer and how close can you get to the object?

Inductive coupling with high frequency current could work or photo cells lit from a high power lamp.

The numbers are important in a system like this so more details are needed.

Sophie pretty much nailed it. Lots of unimaginable things are possible but on a limited scale.

It's possible to transfer energy through water. It's done with implants.

The difficulties lie in the degree. Transferring power through 3/4" - 1" involves substantial stress on the transmitting components only to receive a moderate (i.e. .01 - 1watt) on the receiving end.

I've made higher power transmitters (~10 watt) transmit over about 1", but the coils were on the order of 3" in diameter and the currents were in the tens of amps at 3/4 MHz.

1. Can water be used as a medium to charge a battery?

Yes, water can potentially be used as a medium to charge a battery. This concept is known as water-based battery technology and it involves using water as the electrolyte in a battery instead of traditional chemicals.

2. How does charging a battery through water work?

Charging a battery through water works by using a process called hydrolysis. This involves splitting the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, which then react with the electrodes in the battery to produce electricity. This electricity is then stored in the battery for later use.

3. Is charging a battery through water safe?

Yes, charging a battery through water is generally considered safe. Water-based batteries do not contain any harmful chemicals, making them safer for both the environment and human health. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling any type of battery.

4. What are the advantages of charging a battery through water?

There are several advantages of charging a battery through water. These include a longer lifespan for the battery, lower cost of production, and increased environmental sustainability. Water-based batteries also have the potential to store more energy than traditional batteries, making them ideal for use in renewable energy systems.

5. Are there any limitations to charging a battery through water?

One limitation of charging a battery through water is that it is currently a relatively new technology and is still in the early stages of development. This means that the efficiency and reliability of water-based batteries may not be as high as traditional batteries. Additionally, water-based batteries may not be suitable for all types of applications and may have limitations in extreme temperatures or high power demand situations.