Can Power Be Transmitted via Radio Waves?

• Thread starter thorguy57
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transmitting power through radio waves. It is clarified that what is being described is actually power transmitted through sound waves and not radio waves. The concept is similar to how radio and TV broadcasting works, but transmitting large amounts of power this way is not practical. The conversation also mentions the use of a speaker and microphone to demonstrate this concept and provides a link for further information on wireless power transmission.
thorguy57
Ok first off I am sorry because this probably isn't in the right section but didn't know where to put it. I have to come up with a report in one of my classes about power distribution. I am just curious if this would work theory wise. I am not going to make a working model or anything this is more just an assignment to learn how to brainstorm.
Ok so here it goes. Would it be possible to transmit small amounts of power through radio waves? My this I mean is it possible to have a speaker hooked up to an electrical source which cause the first speaker to vibrate back and forth rapidly (like a normal speaker does). You would then put another speaker in front of it. The pressure of the radio waves would then make the other speaker fluctuate back and forth and move a core back and forth through some windings to create a voltage. I would mount both speaker inside a closed, sealed bow to contain the sound waves. Would this be at all possible do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you describe (with the two speakers) is power transmitted through sound waves and not radio waves.
The speaker produces mechanical waves which are detected by the second one (acting like a microphone).

Regrading the original question, sure is possible. This is how radio and TV broadcasting work. The receiver gets a (very) little amount of power transmitted from the emission antenna through radio waves. Here the focus is not on the power per se, but the information contained in the radio wave. However the principle works.
However to transmit large power this way (as a substitute for power lines) is impractical for several reasons. It may be used though in some special cases.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes sound waves, sorry. I really should start proof reading before I submit. Like I said this is more just for a brainstorming thing. Maybe I will try and build one of these things just as a little experiment when I get bored. I wouldn't think it should be to hard. Just two speakers pointed at each other in a completely sealed plexiglass box. That way the pressure of the sound waves are directed directly at the other one. If I could get the one speaker to fluctuate the other one enough to build up a charge in a coil hooked to it and light an LED I would be happy. Thanks again.

As Nasu explained you would have energy (and thus power) transferred through sound waves, not radio waves. However I would like to point out that ALL waves move energy around. The very act of receiving a radio signal is a direct result of the radio waves transmitting energy into the antenna to move the electrons back and forth.

Also, your method of one speaker sending waves to another speaker is almost identical to the way a normal microphone works. The waves in the air cause a coil or other object to vibrate and generates a voltage in the circuit of the microphone which is amplified and sent to a speaker or recording device.

Take a look at the following link for more information on wireless power transmission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power_transmission

I can say that it is possible to transmit power via radio waves, but it is not a practical or efficient method of power distribution. Radio waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation, which can carry energy. However, the amount of power that can be transmitted through radio waves is limited and would not be enough to power any significant electrical device. Additionally, the efficiency of converting radio waves into usable electrical energy is very low.

In order to transmit power through radio waves, the setup you described would require a very high-powered source, which is not feasible for everyday use. The distance between the two speakers would also affect the efficiency of power transmission, as radio waves can lose energy over long distances.

Furthermore, the method you described is not a new concept and has been explored in the past. It is known as "wireless power transfer" and has been used in certain applications, such as charging electronic devices. However, it is not a widely used method for power distribution due to its limitations and inefficiency.

In modern power distribution systems, electricity is transmitted through wires, which is a much more efficient and reliable method. Research is ongoing to improve wireless power transfer, but it is unlikely to replace traditional power distribution methods in the near future.

1. What is the concept of power transmission via radio waves?

Power transmission via radio waves is the process of transmitting electrical energy from one location to another through the use of radio waves. This is achieved by converting the electrical energy into radio waves and then transmitting them through the air to a receiver, where they are converted back into electrical energy.

2. How does power transmission via radio waves work?

Power transmission via radio waves works by using a transmitter to convert electrical energy into radio waves, which are then transmitted through the air to a receiver. The receiver then converts the radio waves back into electrical energy, which can be used to power devices or systems.

3. What are the advantages of power transmission via radio waves?

The main advantage of power transmission via radio waves is that it eliminates the need for physical wires or cables, making it a more flexible and convenient method of power transmission. It also allows for long-distance transmission without the need for intermediate stations, making it a cost-effective option.

4. Are there any limitations to power transmission via radio waves?

One limitation of power transmission via radio waves is that it is affected by environmental factors such as weather and interference from other radio signals. It also has a limited range and can be affected by physical barriers such as buildings or mountains.

5. What are some practical applications of power transmission via radio waves?

Power transmission via radio waves has various practical applications, including wireless charging of electronic devices, remote control of devices and systems, and long-distance power transmission for remote areas or disaster relief efforts. It is also used in technologies such as radio broadcasting and satellite communication.