Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possible?

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    so lets say that i take and electromagnet and a magnet. i connect them to a position where if i turn on the power they will repel each other(the magnet is on top and is connected to the bottom electromagnet). my question: will it levitate when i switch the power on and increasing and deacreasing the flow to the electromagnet? imagine that theres enough electricity flowing to the electromagnet to repel the whole device weight. im not sure youll understand this question but if you dont, its okay :p.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not just DO it and find out?

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    because i dont have the materials.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well its very cheap and easy to make an electro moagnet
    ... say 100ft of 20swg of enamelled copper wire, a piece of iron for the core say 4 inches long and 1 inch diameter approx ( not critical) and a power supply that can supply say ~ 12VDC at ~ 5Amps max

and many hobby shops will sell permanent magnets

Dave

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You will need to secure the levitating magnet or electromagnet to a pole to keep it in a stable position, but yes it will levitate if the magnets are strong enough. You can do this experiment with 2 permanent magnets that are ring shaped. Stick them onto a rod or something that will hold them in position with like sides facing each other. Cheap and easy.

7. Oct 2, 2012 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

8. Oct 3, 2012 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See also youtube.

9. Oct 3, 2012 #8
    thank you all for your very good answers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook