Is this power supply any good?

In summary, when choosing a power supply unit for a computer with dual SLI GTX 680's, it is important to consider the wattage, efficiency, and brand reputation. While a 1000W PSU with 80 Plus Gold certification may sound appealing, it is actually overkill for most systems. A 750-850W PSU is more than enough for dual GTX 680's and will provide clean power to your components. It is worth investing in a reputable brand like Corsair, rather than risking damage to your components with a budget PSU.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Power supplies are one of the few remaining common scams to look out for with computer hardware which is why some cost ten times as much as others advertising the same output. A bad power supply can fry your entire computer and there are so many bad ones on the under-regulated market people are paying through the nose to buy quality ones from the few reputable manufacturers.

A thousand watts is complete overkill and even 850w is more than almost anyone on the planet will ever need. For dual gtx 680s a 750w will suffice and the efficiency of the power supply goes down dramatically if you don't come anywhere near utilizing it's capacity. Raidmax is also not known for quality power supplies. Seasonic is perhaps the best name in the business, while Corsair is popular choice for both price and quality. If you want to save money on a power supply I'd focus on which brand names are reputable and wait for one to go on sale.

A PSU is a terrible place to cut corners, as noted by wuliheron, considering most motherboards cost more than a decent PSU. I would stick to a known, reputable brand. An extra 20 or so bucks is worth the peace of mind. I also agree that 850W should be plenty, unless you also plan to use it to power a toaster oven and refrigerator. A good rule of thumb is to provide about twice as many watts as your system components will collectively draw.

on an average computer (i'm over estimating to be safe)
CPU (Full Load)
~100W
Video Cards (Full Load)
~150W x2 = 300
Hard Disk
~30W
3-5 Case Fans
~25W (5W/fan)
DVD Drive
~30W
RAM (10W per module)
~40W

So that works out to max power requirement:
(100+300+30+25+30+40)W
≈ 525W

You want your peak power requirements to be less than 80% of PSU capacity
525/0.8 = 656W

So, you can get away with a 650W PSU if you check and make sure there's no noise or spikes when it approaches full capacity.

Get yourself a 750-850W PSU and you will never be anywhere near full capacity so you won't really have to even worry about it.
If you have to spend an extra $50 bucks, do it, its a good investment and your system will thank you by not dying prematurely.

1kW is overkill unless you plan on getting everything water cooled and need to run a pump running off the PSU

The problem with budget PSUs, like the others have stated, is that it doesn't provide clean power, there's always some noise in the signal and depending on the fluctuations, it can be enough to damage your components. Look up reviews and tests of PSUs you are interested in, people hook them up to meters and set them to draw the max output possible and then measure just how clean the power is. If a PSU can supply clean power at max capacity, it will work great all the time. If a PSU can't, then i wouldn't trust my components to it.

I have a bias for Corsair PSU's. This is the one that I've used when building systems for my friends.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I have the 850W myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Last edited:
Routaran said:
on an average computer (i'm over estimating to be safe)
CPU (Full Load)
~100W
Video Cards (Full Load)
~150W x2 = 300
Hard Disk
~30W
3-5 Case Fans
~25W (5W/fan)
DVD Drive
~30W
RAM (10W per module)
~40W

So that works out to max power requirement:
(100+300+30+25+30+40)W
≈ 525W

You want your peak power requirements to be less than 80% of PSU capacity
525/0.8 = 656W

So, you can get away with a 650W PSU if you check and make sure there's no noise or spikes when it approaches full capacity.

Get yourself a 750-850W PSU and you will never be anywhere near full capacity so you won't really have to even worry about it.
If you have to spend an extra $50 bucks, do it, its a good investment and your system will thank you by not dying prematurely.

1kW is overkill unless you plan on getting everything water cooled and need to run a pump running off the PSU

The problem with budget PSUs, like the others have stated, is that it doesn't provide clean power, there's always some noise in the signal and depending on the fluctuations, it can be enough to damage your components. Look up reviews and tests of PSUs you are interested in, people hook them up to meters and set them to draw the max output possible and then measure just how clean the power is. If a PSU can supply clean power at max capacity, it will work great all the time. If a PSU can't, then i wouldn't trust my components to it.

I have a bias for Corsair PSU's. This is the one that I've used when building systems for my friends.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I have the 850W myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

The only way you could load your computer up to 100% capacity is to run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously.

But in nearly all computing situations, even enthusiast-level gaming graphics, will NOT use 100% of available computing resources.

Concur on Corsair, their components are high quality, IMO. 850W is good enough for nearly any build that does not include a tanning bed ap. The '100% over wattage rule' is to allow your PSU to loaf - which extends its reliable service life. There is a reason 'bargain' PSU's have no more than a one year 'warranty'. Unless you plan to rebuild your system every year, they should be avoided.

Kutt said:
The only way you could load your computer up to 100% capacity is to run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously.

But in nearly all computing situations, even enthusiast-level gaming graphics, will NOT use 100% of available computing resources.

Yes, you are correct, however I'm trying to account for the widest range of possibilities. If the OP decided to over-clock the system, for example, burn-ins would be required. This is one case you would be coming close to peak usage.

One needs to ensure that the PSU is able to work reliably in the one off extreme cases. Normal operation rarely ever is a problem but we need to prepare for those extreme cases because that's when the possibility of damage becomes significant enough.

Setting the condition that the peak power requirements for the system are 80% or lower than the PSU's max output, you effectively rule out the possibility of damage as long as its a good PSU. That is my rule of thumb when building systems and advice to anyone looking for information.

Routaran said:
Yes, you are correct, however I'm trying to account for the widest range of possibilities. If the OP decided to over-clock the system, for example, burn-ins would be required. This is one case you would be coming close to peak usage.

One needs to ensure that the PSU is able to work reliably in the one off extreme cases. Normal operation rarely ever is a problem but we need to prepare for those extreme cases because that's when the possibility of damage becomes significant enough.

Setting the condition that the peak power requirements for the system are 80% or lower than the PSU's max output, you effectively rule out the possibility of damage as long as its a good PSU. That is my rule of thumb when building systems and advice to anyone looking for information.

High-quality PSU's such as the ones made by Corsair, are designed to last much longer than 5 years.

Kutt said:
High-quality PSU's such as the ones made by Corsair, are designed to last much longer than 5 years.

5 years! That's going to be one old system! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
5 years! That's going to be one old system! :)

Yup, but it better have a top-notch PSU to power it long enough before it becomes laughably obsolete.

It would still be alive and kickin' when it should be donated to a museum.

Corsairs are rated to last ten years of continuous use and by the time the thing dies it will be so obsolete it isn't funny. Quality power supplies also tend to have much better built in protection from wall sockets helping to protect the entire computer. Add a quality surge protector and most people are good to go, but in places with bad lightning storms many people recommend using a more expensive UPS surge protector.

Surge protectors are cheaper fuses than your computer system components.

1. Is this power supply compatible with my device?

The compatibility of a power supply depends on the specific model and specifications of your device. It is important to check the voltage and wattage requirements of your device and compare them to the power supply before making a purchase.

2. What is the efficiency rating of this power supply?

The efficiency rating of a power supply indicates how much power is actually being delivered to your device compared to the amount of power it draws from the outlet. A higher efficiency rating means less wasted energy and a lower electricity bill.

3. How many watts do I need for my system?

The wattage requirement for a power supply depends on the components in your system, such as the CPU, GPU, and number of drives. It is recommended to use a power supply with a wattage that is 20-30% higher than the total wattage needed for your system to ensure stability and avoid overloading the power supply.

4. Is this power supply reliable?

The reliability of a power supply can vary depending on the brand and model. It is important to do research and read reviews from other users to determine the reliability of a power supply before making a purchase.

5. What is the warranty for this power supply?

The warranty for a power supply can vary depending on the brand and model. It is important to check the warranty information before purchasing to ensure you are covered in case of any defects or malfunctions.