Is this problem possible?

• Thread starter formulajoe
  • Start date
In summary, the egg throwers can throw the egg as hard as they want and it will still break after a certain distance.
formulajoe
two people toss a raw egg in the egg toss. the force required to break the shell is 5N. the mass of the egg is 50g. estimate the maximum separation distance for the egg throwers. make whatever reasonable assumptions you need to about the launch angle and hand movement.

isnt an initial velocity needed for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Estimate!

:smile:

Originally posted by formulajoe
isnt an initial velocity needed for this problem?
That's what you've got to figure out. How fast can you toss that egg without breaking it?

Suppose the tossers are very, very, very strong. Then what?

Originally posted by gnome
Suppose the tossers are very, very, very strong. Then what?
Hint: How strong do they have to be to exert 5 N?

okay, so i figured the acceleration for the egg to break to be 100 m/s^2.
im estimating the max distance to be 100 m.
im stuck. how do i figure in the 100 m/s^2? the acceleration in both directions is going to be constant. 0 in the x direction and 9.8 in the y direction.
so if the tossers are very strong, they would throw the egg very hard. leaving a high initial velocity. but that doesn't help with how to get the acceleration so high.

How long is your arm?

oooohhh, use centripetal acceleration to get initial velocity?

Originally posted by formulajoe
okay, so i figured the acceleration for the egg to break to be 100 m/s^2.
im estimating the max distance to be 100 m.
The max distance is what you're supposed to be figuring out. Don't guess at that answer!

You figured out the max acceleration the egg can withstand. Now use Bystander's hint!

using centripetal acc. i found the velocity to be 31.6 m/s with a radius(arm length) of .5 m. I am assuming the launch angle to be 60 deg from the horizontal.
i have a feeling I am way off though.
am i getting close?

Trout or Carp

You sound like you are from a town named after a fish.

t

Tom, are you still around. I looked at it like Work = mV^2 where V is the horizontal velocity. I don't know if I am right.

uhhh how do you know my name?

?

Because you told me about this place at church today.

1. Is this problem solvable?

It depends on the specific problem and the available resources and knowledge. Some problems may have a known solution, while others may require further research and experimentation.

2. What are the limitations of solving this problem?

The limitations of solving a problem can vary greatly. Some limitations may include time, resources, technology, and knowledge. It is important to carefully consider and acknowledge these limitations when attempting to solve a problem.

3. How do I know if a problem is possible to solve?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the complexity of the problem and the available resources and knowledge. It is important to carefully analyze and research a problem before determining its solvability.

4. What are the steps to solving a problem?

The steps to solving a problem can vary depending on the problem and the approach taken. However, some general steps may include identifying the problem, researching and gathering information, brainstorming possible solutions, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing and testing the solution.

5. How do I approach a problem that seems impossible to solve?

When faced with a seemingly impossible problem, it is important to remain open-minded and think creatively. Seek out different perspectives and approaches, and don't be afraid to try new methods or solutions. Remember that failure is often a part of the problem-solving process, and it may take multiple attempts and iterations before finding a successful solution.