Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this professor cool or what?

1. May 17, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd go for the "or what" option. That's not at all cool-- he should have just kicked the guy out of his class. (Of course, it doesn't seem real, since the guy didn't respond to the "professor" whatsoever!)

4. May 17, 2007 #3
    Man, we saw this months ago. (picks up and smashes Kant's computer).

5. May 17, 2007 #4
    sorry but what he did was incredibly immature. He should have just sent the kid away for the remainder of the period.

I will admit though, it was very funny.

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    The kid deserved a smack in the head along with his phone smashed.

7. May 18, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

This would be very unusual at a state school like mine, if not unheard of, but in the 60's at a good private school, not only would this have been tolerated, but the student would have probably been disciplined further, and maybe kicked completely out of the course if he had said a word.

There used to be an understanding that students owed respect to the class and the professor. No one could even arrive late or leave early, or read or do anything unattentive in class. This is so different now that we have trouble believing this scene. It would still probably be tolerated at a top school where students are lucky to be there.

As an old man, with less fragile ego, now I would just laugh. This stuff happens all the time. After all my wife sometimes calls my cellphone too in class when I have forgotten to turn it off. I take the attitude that we are all in the same boat, and I am not royalty.

I try to teach my students and hold them accountable for their infractions, but without being angry at them. but not all profs feel that way and it does take a lot of patience that I do not always have.

The student was incredibly rude, but he did not even realize it, and to be a good teacher you have to understand how to help people by sympathizing with their ignorance, not punishing it. We are all ignorant about something.

I have been in conversation with friends recently who seemed to think it normal to just stop talking to me and answer their cellphone, even doctors who were seeing me in their office, and the call was about a golf game.

People no longer realize how rude this is. Its better if we don't take it personally. Everyone has been in the position of doing something rude, and we all appreciate it when we are taught better in a way that does not embarrass us. I can still remember insightful and considerate teachers who could correct me with just a look and a smile.

On the other hand, remember the prof looked at the phone first. We don't know what he saw!

8. May 18, 2007 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was probably checking the model to see whether it was worth the potential replacement cost.

Obviously he felt it was worth the risk

9. May 18, 2007 #8
    I don't know... if that had happened in the 60's the professor would have grabbed the cell phone and yelled "what is this demonry?!" and then made off with it and sold the technology to the military. Of course there were no cell towers around in the 60s so the time traveling student wouldn't be on the phone in the first place.

10. May 18, 2007 #9
  11. May 18, 2007 #10
    :rofl: haha

12. May 18, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, with my one student, we were all intently listening in every time he got a cell phone call during a few week period...his wife was pregnant and due any day, so he kept his cell phone on all the time and we were all hoping it would be THAT call. :biggrin: (And, I had every intention of letting him leave class early if his wife went into labor during it...the baby was kind enough to wait until spring break to be born...actually, his wife called very shortly after he left the last class before spring break.) On the other hand, we were all very disappointed the day he got a call in the middle of class from his wife just to tell him his car was ready to be picked up from an oil change. :rofl:

13. May 18, 2007 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i love it!

14. May 20, 2007 #13
    Rationally speaking, I agree with you.

Emotionally speaking, this guy is awesome, and I would have applauded if I were there. Sorry, but some emotions are too strong for me to control (I have a violent hatred of cell phones).

15. May 20, 2007 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I use a cell phone only when I am somewhere locally where I cannot use a hardwired phone, or when traveling, and most of the time it is off. I don't understand why people need to be constantly communicating with others, especially when it is some inane or trivial conversation. I dare say that most people are so important that they need a phone by their side constantly, unless it is an emergency responder.

Business matters can wait until someone is sitting down in an office or some other place - certainly not while one is operating a motor vehicle. I see too many people staring into space while driving and talking on a phone, and I have seen some erratic driving as a result.

I was flying back from the west coast one afternoon, and I was waiting with 100+ other people to board the flight. Some guy was conversing on his cell phone - yelling at times - and the rest of us were somewhat concerned about this guy losing it. :rolleyes: I think it was a conversation with his lawyer about a divorce or something. But pacing back and forth, waving hands and yelling before getting on a flight was a bit worrisome.

Anyway, as for the professor, I can understand his anger, but the appropriate measure would have been to confiscate the phone, tell the other party that the student was in class, terminate the phone call and tell the student to visit his office after class or when the prof had free time. Clearly the student is out of place and the cell phone should have been off.

Moonbear has a point - these days there may be circumstances when one needs to be in contact by cell phone. On the other hand, when my wife was due while I was teaching at university, I let the department and my fellow colleagues know, and they knew to come get me if I my wife called while I was in class. It so happened that's what happened - and I dismissed class and headed home as quickly as possible.

16. May 20, 2007 #15
    I think you left out the rather improtant word "not". :rolleyes:

I refuse to purchase a cell phone. But then again, I also refuse to buy a car... so I'm just a weirdo.

17. May 20, 2007 #16
    Are you serious? Why?

18. May 20, 2007 #17

radou

Homework Helper

In an academic surrounding, one shouldn't let his anger out in a physical way. He could have simply asked the student to come to the blackboard and made an idiot out of him, i.e. lecture him in front of the whole class about culture and politeness in an ironic way. Everyone would have learned something, even that idiot student with his cell phone. Now, he's just angry because his cell phone is broke. He hates the professor, and he hates the course. No sense at all.

19. May 20, 2007 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't own a cellphone either. I don't have hatred towards them. That's just an odd thing to have.

I'm just too cheap to get one.

20. May 20, 2007 #19

radou

Homework Helper

Interesting. Here in my country, I literarily don't know a person who doesn't own a cell phone. They're simply a practical thing to have.

But, I must admit that I despise the cell phone industry and all of it's marketing "tricks" that people go for.

21. May 20, 2007 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's the same thing here. My girlfriend and I are the only two I know of without a cellphone. Even 14 year olds have them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?