Is this proof correct? If {u,v,w} is a basis for V then {u+v+w,v+w,w}is also a basis?

In summary: I would be likely to omit that last derivation. But I would also be likely to actually mention it too. (without explicitly writing out the steps)
aortizmena
Let u,v,w[itex]\in[/itex] V a vector space over a field F such that u≠v≠w. If { u , v , w } is a basis for V. Prove that { u+v+w , v+w , w } is also a basis for V.

Proof

Let u,v,w[itex]\in[/itex] V a vector space over a field F such that u≠v≠w. Let { u , v , w } be a basis for V. Because { u , v , w } its a basis, then u,v,w are linearly independent and <{ u , v , w }>=V.

Let x[itex]\in[/itex]V be an arbitrary vector then x can be uniquely expressed as a linear combination of { u , v , w }. Let's suppose x=au+bv+cw for some a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F.

On the other hand ,lets consider { u+v+w , v+w , w }[itex]\subseteq[/itex]V.

Then <{ u+v+w , v+w , w }>={d(u+v+w) + e(v+w) + f(w) | d,e,f[itex]\in[/itex]F}={du + (d+e)v +(d+e+f)w | d,e,f[itex]\in[/itex]F}.

If x[itex]\in[/itex]V then x=du + (d+e)v +(d+e+f)w its another unique representation of x[itex]\in[/itex]V . Then for any arbitrary x[itex]\in[/itex]V we have d=a, d+e=b and d+e+f=c [itex]\in[/itex]F.

Because { u , v , w } its a basis fpr V then { u+v+w , v+w , w } must also be a basis for V.

Edit:
I tried to give an alternate proof instead of proving <{ u , v , w }>=V<{ u+v+w , v+w , w }>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There's a bit of imprecision here, but I think you've actually omitted something important:

aortizmena said:
Then for any arbitrary x[itex]\in[/itex]V we have d=a, d+e=b and d+e+f=c [itex]\in[/itex]F.

In particular, you haven't shown that there is a unique solution for (d,e,f) in that system of equations.

To help understand this is important, try repeating your argument for {u-v, u-w, v-w}. Would it conclude that this is also a basis for V?

Thanks Hurkyl but isn't saying that for for any arbitrary x∈V=<{ u , v , w }> with d=a, d+e=b and d+e+f=c it implies the unique solution d=a, e=b-d=b-a , f=c-d-e=c-a-(b-a)=c-a-b+a=c-b ?

aortizmena said:
Thanks Hurkyl but isn't saying that for for any arbitrary x∈V=<{ u , v , w }> with d=a, d+e=b and d+e+f=c it implies the unique solution d=a, e=b-d=b-a , f=c-d-e=c-a-(b-a)=c-a-b+a=c-b ?

Yes, but I think it needs saying when coming from a student of linear algebra -- the professor needs to know you actually thought about that. (did you think about that? Or did you not think about it until I pointed it out)

I thought it was implicit, that was my intention

Hey aortizmena and welcome to the forums.

Do you know how to show something is a basis using matrices and the properties of matrices?

Do you know the properties of basis in the context of linear algebra? Perhaps you should list them and go through them one by one on this forum as a way to think out aloud and to also show us your thinking so that we can help you correct it if need be.

Thanks chiro, yes i know alternatives of proving the statement, i was just trying to give a proof with this alternative aproach. I know i can prove it by matrix properties, by linear independence of the vectors, and by proving <{ u , v , w }>=V<{ u+v+w , v+w , w }>.

Thanks though.

aortizmena said:
Thanks chiro, yes i know alternatives of proving the statement, i was just trying to give a proof with this alternative aproach. I know i can prove it by matrix properties, by linear independence of the vectors, and by proving <{ u , v , w }>=V<{ u+v+w , v+w , w }>.

Thanks though.

you've shown spanning (although it's not real easy to decipher), but you haven't shown linear independence (this is the "uniqueness" part).

what i recommend is this:

show {u+v+w,v+w,w} is linearly independent. spanning is the easy part.

(because w is in span({u+v+w,v+w,w}), and v = 1(v+w) + (-1)w, so v is in the span, and u = ...?)

you are "almost" at the point where you've shown you have a basis. to finish it, if you wish to make your particular argument, you need to invoke dimensionality in some way.

aortizmena said:
I thought it was implicit, that was my intention
But I'm asserting that it is wrong to leave it implicit in this context. (which, I assume, is something akin to a homework problem or class exercise in a first introduction to linear algebra)

Recognizing that the step must be done (and being able to do it) is the sort of thing I would expect a fellow mathematician to know, but I would expect a new student is fairly likely to get wrong.

If I were writing a similar proof for a colleague, I would be fairly likely to omit that last derivation. But I would also be fairly likely to actually mention it too. (without explicitly writing out the steps)

If I were writing a similar proof for a student of linear algebra to see, I would almost certainly write out that step. (unless I decided to state what needed to be done and leave it to the student to see if he can carry it out)

1. Is there a difference between a basis and a spanning set?

Yes, there is a difference. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in a vector space, while a spanning set is a set of vectors that can generate all other vectors in a vector space. Not all spanning sets are bases, but all bases are spanning sets.

2. How can we prove that {u,v,w} is a basis for V?

To prove that {u,v,w} is a basis for V, we need to show that the set is linearly independent and spans V. This means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors, and that every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set.

3. Can we use any set of three vectors to form a basis for a vector space?

No, not every set of three vectors will form a basis for a vector space. The vectors must be linearly independent and able to span the entire vector space. It is possible for a vector space to have multiple different bases.

4. How do we know if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is considered linearly independent if none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. This means that no vector in the set is a scalar multiple of another vector in the set.

5. Why is it important to have a basis for a vector space?

A basis is important because it allows us to easily represent and manipulate vectors in a vector space. It provides a set of building blocks that can be used to create any vector in the space, and also allows us to easily perform calculations such as finding coordinates and projections of vectors.