Can This Proof Verify the Existence of Integers m and n for Any Real Number x?

• Thread starter Physics2341313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, In summary, the theorem states that for any arbitrary real number x, there exists integers m and n such that m<x<n. This is proven by showing that there is a greatest lower bound and a least upper bound for any nonempty set S that is bounded below and above, respectively. This is done by using the fact that for any nonempty set S with no maximum element, there exists an upper bound for S and a lower bound for the set of negatives of S. Then, by defining the set S as {n\in\mathbb Z|n<x}, it can be shown that m and n are integers that satisfy the conditions of the theorem.
Physics2341313
1. Question I 3.12 from Apostle's calculus volume 1
If x is an arbitrary real number, prove that there are integers m and n such that m<x<n

2. Theorem I.27:Every nonempty set S that is bounded below has a greatest lower bound; that is, there is a real number such that L= infS

3. Suppose x[itex]\in[/itex]R and belongs to a nonempty set S with no maximum element. It follows that ∃B[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]\stackrel{+}{}[/itex] such that B is an upper bound for S. Let n=B, then we have n>x. Similarly, let -S denote the set of negatives of numbers in S. Suppose that -B[itex]\in-Z[/itex][itex]\stackrel{+}{}[/itex] of -S, then by theorem I.27 -B is a lower bound of -S. Let m=-B. , such that m<x<n.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2341313 said:
Suppose x[itex]\in[/itex]R and belongs to a nonempty set S with no maximum element.
You have stated this as if you're making two assumptions about x. You should only make one: ##x\in\mathbb R##. If you need to use some other statement about x, you need to be able to prove that it follows from your one and only assumption about x.

Physics2341313 said:
It follows that ∃B[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]\stackrel{+}{}[/itex] such that B is an upper bound for S.
It doesn't. Consider e.g. x=1 and S the set of integers (which doesn't have a maximum element).

I thought an inductive set could have an upper bound but not a greatest upper bound / supremum because for every x in the set x+1 is also in the set?

and to fix my assumption issue could i do something along the lines of- Suppose S is a nonempty set of real numbers and suppose there is a number B such that x[itex]\leq[/itex]B so B could be an upper bound and then go an to show the lower bound as well equating m and n, the integers, as a subset of the real numbers?

Physics2341313 said:
I thought an inductive set could have an upper bound but not a greatest upper bound / supremum because for every x in the set x+1 is also in the set?
The set of natural numbers is an inductive set, but it doesn't have an upper bound in ##\mathbb R##. This would contradict the result that you're trying to prove.

Physics2341313 said:
and to fix my assumption issue could i do something along the lines of- Suppose S is a nonempty set of real numbers and suppose there is a number B such that x[itex]\leq[/itex]B so B could be an upper bound and then go an to show the lower bound as well equating m and n, the integers, as a subset of the real numbers?
If you let S be an arbitrary non-empty subset of ##\mathbb R## and let B be an arbitrary real number such that ##x\leq B##, then what set would B be an upper bound of? Certainly not S. S is arbitrary, so we could have ##S=\{B+1\}##. B is an upper bound of {x}, but that's not very useful.

Edit: I'll give you a hint about one way to solve the problem. The set ##S=\{n\in\mathbb Z|n<x\}## is useful.

Last edited:

1. Is the methodology used in this proof sound?

The methodology used in a proof is crucial in determining its validity. It is important to carefully review and evaluate the steps taken in the proof to ensure that they are logical and free from errors.

2. Are there any counterexamples to this proof?

Counterexamples are specific cases where the proof fails to hold true. It is necessary to consider all possible scenarios and test the proof against them to determine its validity.

3. Can this proof be replicated by others?

A strong proof should be able to be replicated by others using the same methodology. This helps to validate the results and increase confidence in the proof's correctness.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this proof?

It is important to identify and clearly state any assumptions made in a proof. This allows for a better understanding of the proof and helps to determine if the assumptions are valid.

5. What is the significance of this proof?

The significance of a proof lies in its ability to provide evidence for or against a particular theory or hypothesis. A thorough evaluation of the proof's significance can help to determine its importance in the scientific community.