1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this proof okay?

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    I'm taking a course in rigorous calculus, using the famous calculus textbook by Tom Apostol. I'm required to prove that if x is real and satisfies 0 <= x < h, for all positive real h, then x = 0. Here is my 'proof':

if x >= 0, then either x > 0 or x= 0. i'm going to prove that x > 0 leads to contradiction. if x>0, then let h = x/2 > 0. then x-h = x-x/2 = x/2 > 0, and therefore, h < x...which contradicts the h > x for all h. So x=0.

Is this proof all right and sufficiently rigorous?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

way to go!

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    Well h is always above 0. If you consider x=>0 either infinitly small or equal to zero, then it must be equal to zero to sastify the condition x<h. But there is a little contratiction. x=>0 means x is infinitly small but existant... there is a paradox in the condition 0<=x>h

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are you saying Werg22? Particularily, what do you mean by

"x=>0 means x is infinitly small but existant... "

and here...

"there is a paradox in the condition 0<=x>h"

did you mean 0<=x<h ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?