Is Proof of A Subset of Union of Family Valid?

• Thread starter bubblescript
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: So if we wanted to use the notation ##\cup \mathcal{F}##, we could say something like ##\forall x(x \in \cup \mathcal{F} \rightarrow \exists B(B \in \mathcal{F} \wedge x \in B))##.
bubblescript

Homework Statement

If ##\mathcal{F}## is a family of sets and ##A \in \mathcal{F}##, then ##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}##.

Homework Equations

##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}## is equivalent to ##\forall x(x \in A \rightarrow \exists B(B \in \mathcal{F} \rightarrow x \in B))##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose ##A \in \mathcal{F}##. Let ##x## be arbitrary and suppose ##x \in A##. Clearly ##\exists B \in \mathcal{F}## is true if we say that ##B=A##. Therefore we conclude that if ##A \in \mathcal{F}##, then ##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
bubblescript said:

Homework Statement

If ##\mathcal{F}## is a family of sets and ##A \in \mathcal{F}##, then ##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}##.

Homework Equations

##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}## is equivalent to ##\forall x(x \in A \rightarrow \exists B(B \in \mathcal{F} \rightarrow x \in B))##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose ##A \in \mathcal{F}##. Let ##x## be arbitrary and suppose ##x \in A##. Clearly ##\exists B \in \mathcal{F}## is true if we say that ##B=A##. Therefore we conclude that if ##A \in \mathcal{F}##, then ##A \subseteq \cup \mathcal{F}##.
If ##\cup \mathcal{F} = \cup_{B\in \mathcal{F}}B## then yes, ##B=A## does the job.

fresh_42 said:
If ##\cup \mathcal{F} = \cup_{B\in \mathcal{F}}B## then yes, ##B=A## does the job.
I'm unfamiliar with that notation. By ##\cup \mathcal{F}## I mean the union of all the sets that are in ##\mathcal{F}##.

In other words ##x \in \cup \mathcal{F}## is equivalent to ##\exists B \in \mathcal{F}( x \in B)##.

bubblescript said:
I'm unfamiliar with that notation. By ##\cup \mathcal{F}## I mean the union of all the sets that are in ##\mathcal{F}##.
Yes, that's what I said: $$\cup \mathcal{F}=\bigcup_{B \in \mathcal{F}} B$$
Union of all sets ##B##, i.e. ##\cup B## where all sets from ##\mathcal{F}## are taken, i.e. ##\cup_{B \in \mathcal{F}}B##.

If you simply call a list of sets a family, then ##\cup \mathcal{F}## could have meant ##\{\{B\}\,\vert \,B \in \mathcal{F}\}=\mathcal{F}## in which case the union would be a set of sets, which doesn't contain the single elements of its sets.

The notation ##\cup \mathcal{F}## is a bit sloppy, as it denotes only one set: ##\cup \mathcal{F} = \mathcal{F}##. What you really mean is the union of all sets in ##\mathcal{F}##.

E.g. $$\bigcup_{i=1}^2 A_i = A_1 \cup A_2 = \bigcup_{i \in \{1,2\}}A_i = \bigcup_{A_i \in \{A_1,A_2\}}A_i$$
and the difference to the above case is only that ##\{1,2\}##, resp. ##\{A_1,A_2\}## is replaced by ##\mathcal{F}##.

Ok that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

1. What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements that are all part of another set. In other words, all the elements of a subset are also elements of the larger set.

2. What is the union of a family of sets?

The union of a family of sets is the set that contains all the elements that are in at least one of the sets in the family.

3. What is a proof in mathematics?

A proof is a logical argument that shows that a statement or proposition is true. In mathematics, a proof is a series of steps that use axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to show the validity of a statement.

4. How is proof of a subset of union of family validated?

Proof of a subset of union of family is validated by showing that all the elements in the subset are also in the union of the family. This can be done by using the definition of subset and the definition of union, and then providing a logical argument to demonstrate their equivalence.

5. Why is it important to prove the validity of a subset of union of family?

Proving the validity of a subset of union of family is important because it ensures that the elements in the subset are indeed part of the larger set and that the union of the family is a true representation of all the elements in the sets. This is crucial in mathematical proofs and in ensuring the accuracy of mathematical statements and theorems.