What is the Ke value for the given reaction at 1800ºC?

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Ke value for a reaction at 1800ºC, given the initial and equilibrium concentrations of the reactants. The formula for Kc is mentioned and the final answer is determined to be 0.03.
joejo
Hi guys can you please check if this is right...thanks in advance

Given the reaction CO2(g) + H2(g) = H2O(g) + CO(g). If initially there are 2.0 moles of CO2 (g) and 2.0 moles of H2(g) introduced into an empty 1.0L container, at 1800ºC, it is found that at equilibrium there are 0.3 moles of CO2 still present. Calculate the Ke value for this reaction at 1800ºC.

CO2(g) + H2(g) = H2O(g) + CO(g)
Initially 2 2 0 0
Equilibrium 2-1.7=.3 2-1.7=.3 1.7 1.7

Ke = 1.7 * 1.7/(.3 * .3) = 32.11

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me out please?

I would try but I don't know what Ke is. Sorry.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Sorry this post was a waste of time.

Alright here goes JoeJo:

This is the equilibrium expression for the reaction:

[tex]CO_2+H_2\leftrightarrows H_2O+CO[/tex]

[tex]K_c=\frac{[H_2O][CO]}{[CO_2][H_2]}[/tex]

This at the concentrations at equilibrium which as you indicated, only 1.7 moles of both reagents reacted. So even though it would be nice if you formatted it nicely like I did, your answer looks Ok.

Last edited:
lol thanks saltydog...i suck at latex...

shouldn't the answer be 0.03

JoeJo, your answer in #1 is corret, [itex]K_c=32.11[/itex]. How do you end up with 0.03?

Kc=[H2O][CO] over [CO2]

= (0.3)^2 over (1.7)^2 = 0.03??

am i right or wrong?

Quote: "it is found that at equilibrium there are 0.3 moles of CO2 still present"
What is [itex][CO_2]=[H_2]=?[/itex] at equilibrium? By the way you're correct about

[tex]\frac{(0.3)^2}{(1.7)^2} [/tex]

= 0.03

isn't that right...my first time with latex!

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, composition, and how it interacts with other substances.

Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us, from the composition of the air we breathe to the food we eat. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as medicine, agriculture, and energy production.

How does chemistry relate to other sciences?

Chemistry is closely related to other sciences such as biology, physics, and geology. It provides the foundation for understanding the chemical processes that occur in living organisms, the properties and behavior of various materials, and the composition of the Earth and its atmosphere.

What are some real-life applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has countless real-life applications, including the development of new medications, the production of fertilizers and pesticides, the creation of new materials and technologies, and the purification of water and air for human consumption.

How can I learn more about chemistry?

You can learn more about chemistry by taking courses, reading books and articles, attending lectures and conferences, and conducting experiments in a laboratory. There are also many online resources available, such as educational websites, videos, and virtual labs.