Skateboarder Reaches 4.45m in Half-Pipe Event at Olympics

• Thread starter Chocolaty
  • Start date
But overall, your calculations and steps seem correct. In summary, The skateboarder competing in the half-pipe event at the Olympics has a vertical velocity of 10 m/s and a total mass of 70 kg. The kinetic energy of the competitor when he leaves the half pipe is 3.5KJ. If frictional forces of 100 N are acting on him, he will reach a height of 4.45 meters.
Chocolaty
A skateboarder is competing in the half-pipe event at the Olympics. He reaches the top of the half pipe at a vertical velocity of 10 m/s. His total mass is 70 kg.

a) Calculate the kinetic energy of the competitor when he leaves the half pipe. Ignore the effects of friction.

Ek = 0.5mv^2
Ek = 0.5*70*100
Ek = 3500J = 3.5KJ

Here's where I'm not so sure...
b) If frictional forces of 100 N were acting on the skateboarder, what height would he reach.
Okay so once he leaves the pipe the only two forces which are pulling him down are gravity and this frictional force

Fg = 70*9.8 = 686N
686N + 100N = 786N

So now i'll find the acceleration
-Ff = ma
-786 = 70*a
a = -11.23m/s^2

V2 - V1 = a*t
0 - 10 = -11.23*t
t = 0.89s

d = v1t + 0.5at^2
d = 10*0.89 + 0.5*-11.23*0.89^2
d = 4.45 meters

I have a feeling I'm doing something illegal here, or just not right.
Is this ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it is ok.
the steps make sense.

Seems about right. You can check by using conservation of energy since you know the final and initial positions.

What is the significance of a skateboarder reaching 4.45m in a half-pipe event at the Olympics?

Reaching a height of 4.45m in a half-pipe event at the Olympics is a significant achievement for a skateboarder. It demonstrates the athlete's skill, technique, and athleticism, as well as their ability to push the limits of the sport.

How does this height compare to previous records or performances in the half-pipe event?

This height of 4.45m is a new record for the half-pipe event at the Olympics. The previous record was 4.17m, set by Shaun White at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

What factors contribute to a skateboarder being able to reach such heights in the half-pipe event?

Several factors can contribute to a skateboarder reaching heights of 4.45m in a half-pipe event at the Olympics. These include the athlete's strength, speed, balance, and technical skill, as well as the quality of the half-pipe and their equipment.

Is this height of 4.45m considered dangerous for skateboarders?

While skateboarding at any height can be dangerous, professional skateboarders are highly trained and skilled to minimize the risk. With proper safety measures and protective gear, reaching 4.45m in a half-pipe event is not necessarily considered more dangerous than other heights in the sport.

What does this achievement mean for the sport of skateboarding?

A skateboarder reaching 4.45m in a half-pipe event at the Olympics is a significant milestone for the sport. It showcases the growth and evolution of skateboarding as a competitive sport and may inspire future generations of skateboarders to push the limits even further.