1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this series convergent?

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For what values of alpha is the following series convergent: [tex] \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^{\alpha}} = 1 - \frac{1}{2^{\alpha}} + \frac{1}{3^{\alpha}} + ... [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For negative alpha and alpha = 0 the series obviously diverges, so we need only look at positive alpha. For alpha = 1, the infinite series for ln(2) arises. For alpha > 1, we see that the series is absolutely convergent and so the original series is also convergent.

Now to prove that the series is divergent for 0 < alpha < 1, notice that [tex] -1/n \le \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^{\alpha}} [/tex] and so [tex] \sum_{v=0}^{n} -1/n \le \sum_{v=0}^{n} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^{\alpha}} [/tex].

[tex] \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^{\alpha}} = -1 - 1/(2^{\alpha}) - 1/(3^{\alpha}) - ... - 1/(n^{\alpha}) = -(1 + 1/2^{\alpha} + ... + 1/(n)^{\alpha} ) [/tex]. The series in the brackets diverges for increasing n since alpha is less than 1, and so the entire series converges.

Thus the original series converges only for alpha >= 1.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    Ah, I messed up my latex and I can't edit it. The inequality should actually be the sum from 0 to n of -1/n^alpha <= sum from 0 to n of {(-1)^(n-1)}/n^alpha

And the series the series on the left hand side of the inequality is -(1 + 1/2^alpha + 1/3^alpha + ...), which diverges since 0 < alpha < 1

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Review the alternating series test.

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4
    The test says that if the absolute value of the terms of an alternating series decrease monotonically to zero then the series converges.

So let a_n be the nth term of the series. Then |a_n| = 1/n^alpha > |a_{n+1}| = 1/(n+1)^alpha

The terms do not decrease monotonically to 0, but this doesn't mean that the series doesn't converge...so I'm still stuck...

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Review the definition of decreasing monotonically to zero

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6
    Ha! I can't believe I made that mistake...the absolute value of the terms indeed do go to 0 and so the series converges

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You say |a_n|>|a_{n+1}|. That certainly looks like you are saying the series decreases. But that's not true for every alpha. Certainly not if, for example, alpha=(-1). For which alpha is that true?

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8
    It is true for positive alpha

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook