Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this set uncountable

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    ##S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i ##

methinks yes because:

##S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i \equiv \left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}##

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This equality is false. Furthermore, the set on the right is uncountable. The set on the left is countable.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    So how do we look at ##\left\{{0,1}\right\}^∞##?

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean with [itex]\infty[/itex]? The notation you are using now is not standard at all.

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As micromass said, this is false. The reason for this is that every element of the left hand side is an n-tuple for some n, i.e., a FINITE tuple such as (0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0). On the other hand, every element of the right hand side is an infinite sequence, such as (0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, ...). Therefore the left hand side and right hand side actually contain no elements in common.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Feb 13, 2013 #6
    I think that [itex]S = \bigcup _{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i[/itex] is countable all right. The mapping with [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is quite obvious.

8. Feb 13, 2013 #7
    Thanks guys, yes it is kind of clear that ## \bigcup_{i=1}^{∞}\left\{{0,1}\right\}^i ## is countable...I was just looking too much into it.

I believe my confusion was coming from misunderstanding the set: ##\left\{{0,1}\right\}^\mathbb{N}## which has the cardinality of the power set of ##\mathbb{N}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook