Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this statement valid?

1. Jul 13, 2013 #1
    |1-0.[itex]\bar{9}[/itex]|=dx?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No. First of all ##0.\bar{9} = 1##. Secondly, as you were told in the other thread, ##dx## is not a real number.

4. Jul 13, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No. We have that ##1=0.999...##. So ##|1-0.999...|=0##. On the other hand, ##dx## is not a real number.

5. Jul 13, 2013 #4
    See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507002 [Broken] for a good explanation of why ##0.999...=1##

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jul 14, 2013 #5
    how does 0.999...=1?... .....how?.....

just to be sure, im not rounding..

that's like saying i have a piece wise function.. f(x)={2x , 0<x<5}
    {3 , x=5 }
    {2x , 5<x<∞}

the statement 4.999999....=5 is NOT even saying as x approaches 5... no. This is like saying at 4.999999...... wer're already AT 5.
    how does this make sense??

and if 4.99999.... = 5 , then this must also be true 5.00000000.......00001 = 5.
    okay so.. now we have three "fives" on the number line... let's work our way outward shall we

4.999...[itex]\equiv[/itex]5 so now.. 4.999......9998 is also 5.. and 4.999.....9997 is also 5...
    5-[itex]\Sigma[/itex]dxi=5 no matter what the value of i is.. even as it approaches ∞ this is still five.
    and now we have an infinite number of fives on the number line. the implications do not make sense to me.
    if i am wrong with my analysis, i assume i am wrong from the point when i start to work my way outward after the point where 4.999.... is said to be equal to five..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  7. Jul 14, 2013 #6

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

See the FAQ HS-Scientist linked to in post #4.

Also Wikipedia article.

8. Jul 14, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is actually the second part of the FAQ, so be sure to read the first part as well: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507001 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Jul 14, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You really have to stop treating ##dx## like it's some kind of number. It's fine for hand wavy arguments in subpar physics books but not for what you're interested in here.

10. Jul 14, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you want to be rigorous about it, then for any function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, you can define

[tex]df:\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: (p,h)\rightarrow f^\prime(p) h[/tex]

In particular, we have that

[tex]dx:\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: (p,h)\rightarrow h[/tex]

The main reason for this definition is to make the following true:

[tex]df = \frac{df}{dx} dx[/tex]

If you want to do physics, then infinitesimals come in very handy. Those infinitesimals are made rigorous by the hyperreal and surreal number system. But they are not denoted as ##dx##.

In short: you need to stop treating ##dx## as a number, or even worse: as a real number. It isn't, and it's very confusing.

11. Jul 15, 2013 #10
    About 0.999...=1, is representing it as a geometric infinite series a valid proof?

12. Jul 15, 2013 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is probably the simplest strictly valid proof.

0.9999...= .9+ .09+ .009+ .0009+ ...= .9(1)+ .9(.1)+ .9(.01)+ .9(.001)+ ...= .9(1)+ .9(.1)+ .9(.1^2)+ .9(.1^3)+ ...

That is a greometric series of the form [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] with a= .9, r= .1. A geometric series with |r|< 1 (which is the case here: |r|= .1< 1) converges to a/(1- r).

Here, a/(1- r)= .9/(1- .1)= .9/.9= 1.

13. Jul 16, 2013 #12
    guys what level of math are you all in? ie what's the highest math courses you've taken? i just finished diff eq and can't wait to get to where you guys are at.. things are so confusing for me right now :'(

14. Jul 16, 2013 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Don't worry, it will all come in due time. Most of the people answering you are doing their PhDs/masters or already have their PhDs so don't fret, you'll learn it all in sooner or later.

15. Jul 16, 2013 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, at PhD level, but the "geometric series" proof that 0.999...= 1 is one that I learned in PreCalculus.

16. Jul 17, 2013 #15
    I think that ##|1-0.\bar{9}|=0##, which admittedly IS close to 0 if you want to think about it that way, seeing as the distance between the two is 0. :biggrin:

For now, it's best to treat ##dx## and ##df## as variable holders for notation. Later, in differential geometry, you'll be introduced to the concept of the "exterior derivative," which extends the idea of the differential to a meaningful, mathematically rigorous context. For now, though, just treat it as notation.

Whereas you and micro seem to do better than most of us without a degree. :tongue:

It's not about your level of education in school. It's about how much you study by yourself. You can get a lot further by self study than you can by a formal college education, in my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook