Is this the correct way to compute the row echelon form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ref(A) for a given matrix A. The individual has manually calculated ref(A) to be a 2x2 identity matrix, but their TI-89 calculator gives a different answer. Upon further examination, it is determined that the calculator likely switched the two rows before performing row reduction.
kostoglotov
This is actually a pretty simple thing, but the ref(A) that I compute on paper is different from the ref(A) that my TI-89 gives me.

Compute ref(A) where A = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 8
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

[tex]\\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 3 & 8\end{bmatrix} \ r_2 \rightarrow r_2 - 3 \times r_1 \\ \\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 0 & 2 \end{bmatrix} \ r_2 \rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \times r_2 \\ \\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Now I would have thought that this last matrix, A = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex] would be the ref(A).

But my TI-89 gives ref(A) = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \frac{8}{3}\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex] and this is not the rref(A), the rref(A) is just the 2x2 identity matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
This is actually a pretty simple thing, but the ref(A) that I compute on paper is different from the ref(A) that my TI-89 gives me.

Compute ref(A) where A = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 8
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

[tex]\\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 3 & 8\end{bmatrix} \ r_2 \rightarrow r_2 - 3 \times r_1 \\ \\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 0 & 2 \end{bmatrix} \ r_2 \rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \times r_2 \\ \\ \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Now I would have thought that this last matrix, A = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex] would be the ref(A).
Yes, I agree.
kostoglotov said:
But my TI-89 gives ref(A) = [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & \frac{8}{3}\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex] and this is not the rref(A), the rref(A) is just the 2x2 identity matrix.
I'm guessing that your calculator switched the two rows, and then did row reduction. If you start with this matrix --
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & 8\\
1 & 2 \end{bmatrix}
-- row reduction gives you the matrix the calculator shows.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is the purpose of computing the row echelon form?

The row echelon form is a useful tool in linear algebra for solving systems of linear equations and determining the rank and linear independence of a set of vectors. It is also a crucial step in finding the inverse of a matrix.

2. How do I know if I have correctly computed the row echelon form?

To check if your computation is correct, the matrix should have the following properties: all rows with all zero elements should be at the bottom, the first nonzero element in each row (called the leading entry) should be to the right of the leading entry in the row above it, and all leading entries should be equal to 1.

3. What are the steps involved in computing the row echelon form?

The steps for computing the row echelon form are as follows: 1) Start with the first column and find the first nonzero entry (if any). This will be the leading entry in the first row. 2) Use row operations to make all other entries in that column zero. 3) Move to the next column and repeat the process until all rows are in row echelon form.

4. Can I use any row operations to compute the row echelon form?

Yes, there are three basic row operations that can be used to compute the row echelon form: 1) Swapping two rows, 2) Multiplying a row by a nonzero constant, and 3) Adding a multiple of one row to another row.

5. Is there a specific algorithm for computing the row echelon form?

Yes, there are several algorithms that can be used to compute the row echelon form, such as Gaussian elimination, Gauss-Jordan elimination, and the Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF) algorithm. These algorithms follow the same basic steps but differ in their approach to reducing the matrix to row echelon form.