Is this the general solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of undetermined coefficients for solving a differential equation, with the final solution being a general solution with three arbitrary constants.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to solve the differential equation $y'''(x)-2y''(x)+y'(x)=e^x$.

I have done the following:

Consider the homogeneous equation $y'''(x)-2y''(x)+y'(x)$.

$k^3-2k^2+k=0 \Rightarrow k=0 \text{ single root } , k=1 \text{ double root } $

So, the solution of the homogeneous problem is $y_h(x)=c_1+c_2e^x+c_3xe^x$. Since $1$ is a root of the characteristic polynomial of multiplicity $2$, we consider that the partial solution is of the form $y_p=(Ax^2+Bx+C)e^{x}$.

Finding the derivatives $y'_p,y''_p,y'''_p$ and replacing it at the problem I get $A=\frac{1}{2}$.

Is this correct? (Wondering) Is then the general solution the following? (Wondering)

$$y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x) \\ =c_1+c_2e^x+c_3xe^x+\left (\frac{1}{2}x^2+Bx+C\right )e^{x} \\ =c_1+(c_2+C)e^x+(c_3+B)xe^x+\frac{1}{2}x^2e^x$$

Physics news on Phys.org
When you use the method of undetermined coefficients to obtain the particular solution, you should find numerical values for all of the parameters $A,\,B,\,C$.

mathmari said:
I want to solve the differential equation $y'''(x)-2y''(x)+y'(x)=e^x$.

Is then the general solution the following? (Wondering)

$$y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x) \\ =c_1+c_2e^x+c_3xe^x+\left (\frac{1}{2}x^2+Bx+C\right )e^{x} \\ =c_1+(c_2+C)e^x+(c_3+B)xe^x+\frac{1}{2}x^2e^x$$
Yes it is! But it would be better to check the answer yourself rather than ask MHB to do it for you.

In fact, writing $L,M,N$ for the constants $c_1$, $c_2+C$ and $c_3+B$, your proposed solution is $$y = L + Me^x + Nxe^x + \tfrac12x^2e^x.$$ You can then differentiate this three times to get $$y' = Me^x + N(1+x)e^x + (\tfrac12x^2+x)e^x,$$ $$y'' = (M+N)e^x + N(1+x)e^x + (\tfrac12x^2+2x+1)e^x,$$ $$y''' = (M+2N)e^x + N(1+x)e^x + (\tfrac12x^2+3x+3)e^x.$$ It is then a simple matter to check that $y''' - 2y'' + y' = e^x.$ So your solution works, and since it contains three arbitrary constants it must be the general solution to this third-order equation.

1. Is this the only solution to the problem?

The term "general solution" typically refers to a solution that applies to all possible cases of a problem. So in most cases, the general solution is not the only solution, but rather a broad approach that can be applied to various specific cases.

2. How do I know if this is the general solution or a specific solution?

The general solution is usually described using variables and parameters, rather than specific numbers. This allows it to be applied to different cases by substituting different values for the variables. If the solution is given in terms of specific values, it is likely a specific solution rather than the general one.

3. Can the general solution be simplified?

In some cases, the general solution may be simplified by using specific values for the variables or by applying certain mathematical techniques. However, the general solution is intended to be a broad approach that can be applied to multiple cases, so it may not always be possible to simplify it further.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the general solution?

The method for finding the general solution will depend on the specific problem at hand. In some cases, the general solution can be derived through mathematical reasoning and manipulation, while in others it may require experimentation and data analysis. It is important to carefully consider the problem and use appropriate techniques to find the general solution.

5. How do I know if the general solution is correct?

The general solution should be derived using sound mathematical reasoning and should be applicable to all possible cases of the problem. It should also be validated through experimentation or by comparing it to known solutions. If the solution is supported by evidence and accurately describes the problem, it can be considered a correct general solution.