Uncovering the Mystery of the Triumph Herald's Steering Tie Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the different parts of a tractor's suspension system, specifically the "stub axle" or "wheel spindle", the "kingpin", and the "tie rod". The "stub axle" is the horizontal part with wheel bearings while the "kingpin" is the near vertical part with steering bearings. It is also referred to as a "kingpin / stub axle" due to its one-casting design. The "tie rod" is the thinner, horizontal rod that supplies turning torque from the steering box. The conversation also mentions that the piece functioning as a kingpin can also be called the "Vertical Link". Additionally, the speaker shares that the tie rod is the broken part in the photo and suggests separating the two
Kajan thana
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys, this might be a silly question. I have attached a picture to this thread. Am I right to refer to the component ( shown with the red dash line ) as the steering tie rod? If not, what is the name for that rod?
Thank you
1617989101810.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No I would call that the "stub axle" or perhaps the wheel spindle. The tie rod is the thing that supplies the turning torque from the steering box.

• Love
Likes sophiecentaur, Lnewqban, Dr.D and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
No I would call that the "stub axle" or perhaps the wheel spindle. The tie rod is the thing that supplies the turning torque from the steering box.
Thank you so much

The horizontal part with wheel bearings is the stub axle.
The near vertical part with steering bearings is the kingpin.
Since it is all one casting on a tractor it is called a “kingpin / stub axle”, or some similar combination.

Likes Astronuc, Lnewqban, Kajan thana and 1 other person
I believe the piece doing the job of a kingpin can also be called the Vertical Link (Triumph Herald suspension parts list).

But Stub axle describes perfectly the broken part. A wheel fits on an axle and the axle, in that case is just a 'stub' (short). You could have some fun, separating the two parts of that component in the photo. Heat, cold and steady force but no bashing if you can help it

The tie rod is the thinner, horizontal rod at top left of the photo.

Likes gmax137
sophiecentaur said:
Triumph Herald
my wife's first car was a Herald. An oddity in the US.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Is this the Steering Tie Rod?

The steering tie rod is a critical component of a vehicle's steering system that connects the steering gearbox to the steering knuckle. It is responsible for transmitting the driver's steering input to the wheels, allowing the vehicle to turn left or right.

2. How do I know if my Steering Tie Rod is damaged?

Some common signs of a damaged steering tie rod include difficulty steering, uneven tire wear, and a shaking or vibrating steering wheel. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic as soon as possible.

3. Can a damaged Steering Tie Rod be repaired?

In most cases, a damaged steering tie rod cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Attempting to repair a damaged tie rod can compromise the safety and functionality of the vehicle's steering system.

4. How often should the Steering Tie Rod be replaced?

The steering tie rod does not have a specific lifespan and should be replaced as needed. However, it is recommended to have the steering system inspected during routine maintenance and replaced if any signs of damage are present.

5. Can I replace the Steering Tie Rod myself?

Replacing a steering tie rod requires specialized tools and knowledge, so it is not recommended to attempt this repair yourself unless you have experience working on vehicles. It is best to have a professional mechanic replace the steering tie rod to ensure proper installation and functionality.