Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this theorem true?

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my physics textbook there is a theorem that goes "If x1(t) and x2(t) are both solutions of a linear homogeneous d.e., then x(t) = x1(t) + x2(t) is also a solution."

I need to know if the inverse is true, i.e. If x(t) = x1(t) + x2(t) is a solution, does it implies that x1(t) and x2(t) are also solutions separately.

I tried to do a proof similar to that of the first theorem but I come to (for the case of a second order d.e. and using f(x) = g(x) + h(x) instead of x(t) = x1(t) + x2(t)):

[a2*d²g/dx² + a1*dg/dx + a0*g] + [a2*d²h/dx² + a1*dh/dx + a0*h] = 0

of course [a2*d²g/dx² + a1*dg/dx + a0*g] = 0 and [a2*d²h/dx² + a1*dh/dx + a0*h] = 0 is a solution but maybe it's [a2*d²g/dx² + a1*dg/dx + a0*g] = -[a2*d²h/dx² + a1*dh/dx + a0*h] too, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

no, the converse isn't true. for example, y'' = 0 has a solution y = a*x + b, but that doesn't mean y = cosh(e^(1-tan(x))) and y = a*t +b - cosh(e^(1-tan(x))) are also solutions. is that what you were asking?

4. Sep 27, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning involving cosh, e, t and x, but if you say that the converse of the theorem "If x1(t) and x2(t) are both solutions of a linear homogeneous d.e., then x(t) = x1(t) + x2(t) is also a solution." isn't true, that is indeed what I wanted to know!

Thank you.

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is true for a complex function though!

If f(x) = u(x) + i*w(x) is the solution of a lin. homo. d.e. WITH REAL coefficients, then u(x) and i*w(x) are solutions separately.

6. Sep 30, 2004 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

sorry, i was being a smart ass. its just not true cause if f(t) is a solution, then your theorem would mean g(t) and f(t)-g(t) would both be solutions for ANY g(t), which obviously isn't true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?