1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this too much of a load?

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    Is this too much of a load??

I'm thinking of taking 5 classes this Fall semester:

Real Analysis 1
    Economic Statistics
    Applied Regression Analysis
    Computer Science 1 with lab
    Marketing Principles and Policies

Total would be 16 credit hours (CIS is 4 credits). I'm a math major with a minor in applied stats. Do you think this would be too much of a load?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Re: Is this too much of a load??

Hey SMA_01.

Two questions: 1. Have you done any coding in any procedural language for any purpose of moderate complexity (MATLAB, R, C/C++, BASIC, FORTRAN, Python, Whatever) for CompSci and 2. Have you done courses involving a substantial amount of proving before for the Analysis course?

If you really understand statistics and in both an applied and mathematical context, then you should be good IMO.

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3

Chiro- I've never had any prior experience in programming, this is my first course. I took Abstract Algebra last semester, but I wouldn't consider that a "substantial" amount of proving. Do you think I'm still okay with taking classes?

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

For programming remember two things: state and flow-control.

Your state correponds to the variables you use, how you use them and what's in them and the flow-control corresponds to how the execution of your program operates on those variables.

Procedural is top-down in the context of the scope: for example in a loop you go back to the start until you terminate. If you branch you decide whether to skip the branch or enter it and with function calls, you call a function and then the start of the function goes down to the end.

If you remember this, it's going to be a lot easier to follow what is going on.

If you are stuck think about these things and they will make more sense.

In terms of the analysis course, at least get prepared with all the delta epsilon stuff: if you haven't touched much of that then take a look at it. Be aware of the tricks used, the properties of norms, relationships between different norms (like triangle inequality, minkowski inequality and so on) and then look at these in the context of convergence, the existence of limits, differentiability, and continuity.

You might want to get a feel of these concepts (i.e. differentiability, continuity, and convergence) in the formal definition (i.e. all that epsilon delta stuff) before you go in to the course.

Once you have a good enough understanding of when to pick your delta's, your epilsons and so on, you will be in a lot better shape and hopefully won't be pulling your hair out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook