1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this transformation problem doable?

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    We've been talking about Mobius transformations and I feel like I get it, but we just got a homework problem that isn't making sense to me.

It says: find the Mobius transformation taking the circle |z|=1 to |z+2|=1 such that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

My problem with this is that all Mobius trans. are the composition of translations, rotations, dilations and inversions. But this SEEMS like it is doing something else because, unless I am screwing up the graphing, it is taking a quarter circle to a half circle.

Both the circle and its image have radius 1, with the first centered at the origin and the second at -2. The additional points we are given mappings for are -1 and i, which are the endpoints to an arc of a quarter circle. These are mapping to -3 and -1 which are the bounds for the half circle. This implies the mapping is going around twice for once around the circle being mapped, which would imply it is not a bijection, and Mobius transformations are bijections.

It would be great if someone could point out where I am doing something wrong in my reasoning! I don't think I need any help with the calculation part once I figure this out.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?