1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this true: |x|=+-x?

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    I am using CliffsNotes QuickReview Algebra I (which by the way I find to be fantastic, except that it is very prone to typos) to review the algebra that I haven't learned in almost a decade. It says there that (x^2)^1/2 = |x|, but it also says that (x^2)^1/2 = +-x. But isn't it true that |x| > 0? So how can |x| = +-x? Someone please help me understand this. Thanx.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What happens if x is negative?

4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    If x is negative then |x| = -x (for example, say x = -3, so |-3| = -(-3) = 3), because the absolute value of a number is always a positive number. But +-x refers to the number you get as a result of putting either a + or a - in front of x. So if x = -3, +-x could equal +(-3) OR -(-3). Only ONE of these is a positive number (-(-3)).

So to use the example of -3, my question is that |-3| = 3, but +-(-3) could equal 3 OR -3, and since 3 obviously does not equal -3, how can you say that |-3| = +-3?

[Sorry if that's a little convoluted. I tried to be clear, but I may not have succeeded.]

5. Jun 20, 2007 #4
    The answer to your thread's question is no, if you're considering nonzero x, and if you mean "plus AND minus." Some consider the symbol √x as the principle value of the square roots of x (ie: only the positive square root). Some consider [tex]x^{\frac{1}{2} [/tex] to represent BOTH the square roots of x, but I have come to think of them as the same. So, |x| ≠ +-x, if x is nonzero.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  6. Jun 20, 2007 #5
    Thanks morson.

[By the way, how do you insert mathematical symbols into posts like you just did?]

7. Jun 20, 2007 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, only one of the signs is allowed, depending on the sign of x. If they wrote [itex]|x| = \pm x [/itex], it was a shorthand for the more completed definition:

OOPS: EDIT: should have been a larger or equal than... I thought that leq was larger or equal but it is less or equal... It's corrected below
    [itex]|x| = x \, \rm{if} x \geq 0 [/itex]

and

[itex] |x| = -x \, \rm{if} x <0 [/itex]

(the equality case could have been put on either of those or on both since zero does not care about the sign)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  8. Jun 20, 2007 #7
    Umm ... is nrqed disagreeing with morson, or did I just misunderstand someone?

9. Jun 20, 2007 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Per your original post, your CliffsNotes say that [tex](x^2)^{1/2} = |x|[/tex] in one place and [tex](x^2)^{1/2} = \pm x[/tex] in another. First, look back at these notes. Does it say that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex] rather than [tex](x^2)^{1/2} = |x|[/tex]?

As morson indicated, [tex]\sqrt x[/tex] universally indicates the the principal (i.e., positive) root. If you want to allow negative and positive roots, it is better to use the form [tex]x^{1/2}[/tex]. As you indicated, the CliffNotes are a bit unreliable.

10. Jun 20, 2007 #9
    First of all, it does say "square root of x", not (x^2)^1/2, I just haven't figured out yet how to write that with a square root sign!

So according to what you're saying: If I have an equation, say x^2 = y, and I want to solve for x, which means taking the square of both sides, then I need to specify x = "+-(square root of y)" [ahhh!! Somebody tell me how to get math symbols in here!] instead of just "square root of y", since although the first way is technically correct, it is not understood without prefacing the square-root symbol with a "+-". Is that correct?

11. Jun 20, 2007 #10
    Click on the square root symbol generated by someone else and that will give you the code. Here it was \sqrt x

12. Jun 20, 2007 #11
    This is bad though.
    |±x| ≠ ±x

The absolute value is defined to always ONLY give positive values.
    |±x| = +x

But mathematically, the way to do it is to square it and the take the square root. For |±x| = +x
    (±x)2 = +x2 but +x2 ≠ +x so
    √(+x2) = +x

So we can define that,
    |±x| = √(±x2)

Cliff Notes is wrong that,
    |±x| = ±x

But the thing is that, √(±x2) = ±x because
    √(±x2) = (√±x)2 and
    (√±x)2 = ((±x)2)1/2 = (±x)1

However,
    |±x| = √(±x2) = +x but
    |±x| ≠ (√±x)2 ≠ ±x

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  13. Jun 20, 2007 #12
    I have always disagreed with the mathematical definition of the square root being single-valued.
    But we have to live with it. :smile:

Anyone knows who was the "genius" who came up with that anyway?

14. Jun 20, 2007 #13
    Well, i also disagree with that but the problem is that we are still unable to prove that √-x = -x. Until you find a prof, we have to stick with it.

15. Jun 20, 2007 #14
    √-x = -x is obviously false.

But at any rate, you cannot prove or disprove the workings of an operator. It is simply a definition.

16. Jun 20, 2007 #15
    My fault. I thought you were talking about the negative square root; while you meant √(x2) = ±x and not, +x or -x.

17. Jun 21, 2007 #16

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry. My mistake. I corrected it now. I used the latex "leq" thinking it was larger or equal to but it is for less or equal to. Corrected now. Sorry.

18. Jun 21, 2007 #17
    modulus x is always positive yes, but you can replace it with a +-x in calculations i think.

19. Jun 21, 2007 #18
    Some people like functions to be well defined...

:rofl:

Of course, you could always map it to a 2-tuple, which is what I think you were hinting at. The graphing complications that would naturally arise would make it confusing for a lot of people.

20. Jun 21, 2007 #19
    I don't see what so funny here, the inverse of y = x2 is not a function.

And you think that is a valid argument?

21. Jun 21, 2007 #20
    Well, I'm not even really sure what you were suggesting. Are you saying sqrt(x) should map to a 2-tuple, namely (sqrt(x),-sqrt(x))?

Besides, what is your argument for even changing it in the first place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?