Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this undefined?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If I'm asked to graph this function: [tex]y=\frac{1}{x^{-1}}[/tex]

Is x=0 undefined? Obviously by the rule of powers, this equation is the same as y=x, but I'm unsure if the point (0,0) exists in this equation or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    That function is not defined at x=0. To simplify it to x, you rely on the fact that you can multiply by 1=x/x. But x/x isn't defined when x=0, so you can't use simplification to get around the undefinedness at 0.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes, if I converted the power to a fraction as so: [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] then I'd be relying on that rule, but what about if I used the rule of powers, i.e. [tex]\frac{1}{x^a}=x^{-a}[/tex] So simply, [tex]\frac{1}{x^{-1}}=x^{-(-1)}=x[/tex]

It just seems to me that only sometimes this is undefined, depending on how you treat the problem.

Sort of like [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex] while [tex](\sqrt{x})^2=x[/tex] and defined for only [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    That rule explicitly requires [tex]x\ne0[/tex].

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ahh yes, of course!

Thanks tinyboss :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook