1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this undefined?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If I'm asked to graph this function: [tex]y=\frac{1}{x^{-1}}[/tex]

Is x=0 undefined? Obviously by the rule of powers, this equation is the same as y=x, but I'm unsure if the point (0,0) exists in this equation or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    That function is not defined at x=0. To simplify it to x, you rely on the fact that you can multiply by 1=x/x. But x/x isn't defined when x=0, so you can't use simplification to get around the undefinedness at 0.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes, if I converted the power to a fraction as so: [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] then I'd be relying on that rule, but what about if I used the rule of powers, i.e. [tex]\frac{1}{x^a}=x^{-a}[/tex] So simply, [tex]\frac{1}{x^{-1}}=x^{-(-1)}=x[/tex]

It just seems to me that only sometimes this is undefined, depending on how you treat the problem.

Sort of like [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex] while [tex](\sqrt{x})^2=x[/tex] and defined for only [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    That rule explicitly requires [tex]x\ne0[/tex].

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ahh yes, of course!

Thanks tinyboss :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook