Cauchy-Riemann: Is the Relation ∂x/∂y = -∂y/∂x True in General?

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(z) = z where z is analytic and the use of Cauchy-Reimann equations. It is mentioned that for this function, u=x and v=y, and the partial derivatives of u and v have specific relationships. The question is raised whether this relationship is true in general for any 2-dimensional plane.
sahil_time
Considering f(z) = z where z is analytic. z = x + iy.
f(z) = u + iv = x + iy.
Hence u=x and v=y.
Using Cauchy Reimann eqns.
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y =1 and
∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x where u=x and v=y hence

∂x/∂y = -∂y/∂x

is this relation true in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you mean z is some function z(w) of another complex number w. So Yes, since f(z) = z = z(w) is just the identity function.

osnarf said:
I'm assuming you mean z is some function z(w) of another complex number w. So Yes, since f(z) = z = z(w) is just the identity function.

I meant to ask whether the relation is true in general and not just complex numbers.

eg: dy/dx = 1/(dx/dy) for 2 Dimensional plane. Just that way is ∂x/∂y = -∂y/∂x
true for any 2 Dimensional plane?

Thankyou. :)

1. What is the Cauchy-Riemann relation?

The Cauchy-Riemann relation is a fundamental concept in complex analysis that describes the conditions for a function to be analytic. It states that if a function f(z) is differentiable at a point z = x + iy, then its partial derivatives with respect to x and y must satisfy the relation ∂f/∂x = -i∂f/∂y.

2. What does the Cauchy-Riemann relation tell us about a function?

The Cauchy-Riemann relation tells us that a function is analytic if and only if it satisfies the relation ∂f/∂x = -i∂f/∂y. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

3. Is the Cauchy-Riemann relation always true?

No, the Cauchy-Riemann relation is not always true. It only holds for functions that are analytic, meaning that they are smooth and have a well-defined derivative at every point in their domain. If a function is not analytic, then the Cauchy-Riemann relation does not apply.

4. Why is the Cauchy-Riemann relation important?

The Cauchy-Riemann relation is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be analytic. This allows us to quickly determine if a function is analytic and use the powerful tools of complex analysis to analyze it.

5. How is the Cauchy-Riemann relation used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann relation is used in complex analysis to prove the existence and uniqueness of analytic functions, to evaluate complex integrals, and to find solutions to differential equations. It is also used to study the behavior of functions near points where they are not differentiable.