Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this weird limit true?

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    Here's the weird limit:

lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] aCn/na = 1/(a!)

Don't ask how I thought this up, but let me explain my reasoning.
    Let's say that a=3. Then aCn = (n)(n-1)(n-2)
    And because n is approaching infinity, could it be (n)(n)(n) = n3?

I wouldn't normally think of things like this but if it's true then it helps me out.

The only thing is that (n)(n-1)(n-2)= n3 +something*n2+something*n

And when I graphed it it looked like it approaches zero.
    I've never learned limits formally. Thanks.

EDIT: aCn is a Choose n, or n!/(a![n-a]!)
    EDIT: Wolfram alpha is amazing http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+(x!/(3!(x-3)!x^3))+as+x->+infinity
    Sorry for not trying this before posting. I'd still be interested in other replies as to why this is true, though

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, because n is not fixed, it is, as you said, approaching infinity.
    In any case, aCn= n(n-1)(n-3)/3!, not just n(n-1)(n-2). That goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

Now, this is completely different- you have an [itex]n^3[/itex] in the denominator.
    [tex]\frac{_nC_3}{n^3}= \frac{n!}{3!(n-3)!}\frac{1}{n^3}= \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6n^3}[/tex]
    Since both numerator and denominator are of third power in n, that limit is 1/6.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. Dec 22, 2011 #3
    I have not tried yet, but a stirling's approximation of [itex]{}_aC_n[/itex] would give the correct limit
    [tex]n!\sim\sqrt{2\pi n}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n[/tex]

5. Dec 24, 2011 #4
    No, you're limit is correct. It's also not that weird. Consider the expansion of [itex]{n\choose a}=\frac{n(n-1)\ldots (n-a+1)}{a!}[/itex]. Then, consider that [itex]\frac{n(n-1)\ldots (n-a+1)}{n^a}=1\cdot (1-\frac{1}{n})\cdot\ldots\cdot (1-\frac{a-1}{n})[/itex]. Each of those factors goes to 1 as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex], thus the whole product goes to 1 as well. The expression [itex]{n\choose a}n^{-a}[/itex] is the same thing, but divided by [itex]a![/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook