Is time absolute for the photon?

In summary, Chroot argues that Einstien placed the photon at the center of time, so that the photon or light ray becomes invariant, thus creating the postulate. He feels that in doing so Einstien re-establishes absolute time by default without realising it. This discussion is difficult to follow because of Chroot's lack of understanding of relativity.
Scott Sieger
AS we already know Einstien ruled out absolute time with his theory of relativity. However I feel that in doing so he had to make time for the photon or light ray absolute instead.

So, I ask if in discussion, this could be cleared up.

The premise for my concern is that Einstien placed the photon in the center of time, so that the photon or light ray becomes invariant, thus creating the postulate.

But I feel that in doing so Einstien re-establishes absolute time by default without realising it.

I would show a diagram but currently are not allowed to.

Care to discuss?

Science news on Phys.org
The concept of time is meaningless for a photon. Furthermore, a photon cannot be at rest in any inertial frame, so relativity says essentially nothing about it.

- Warren

chroot , thanks for your time,

I do beg to differ with this assessment

The concept of time is meaningless for a photon. Furthermore, a photon cannot be at rest in any inertial frame, so relativity says essentially nothing about it.

Whilst I agree that the photon is never at rest, Einstiens basis for relativity places the photon at the center of time, and in fact if it were not then relativity would fail.

The centre of time is not "rest"

Chroot, can I ask you how Einstein arrived at his theory of the invariance of light or is this a little difficult to explain in simple terms.

Scott Sieger said:
Whilst I agree that the photon is never at rest, Einstiens basis for relativity places the photon at the center of time, and in fact if it were not then relativity would fail.
The term "center of time" is nonsense. I recommend you review our posting guidelines before continuing this sort of discussion.
Chroot, can I ask you how Einstein arrived at his theory of the invariance of light or is this a little difficult to explain in simple terms.
The invariance of the speed of light is a postulate of relativity -- an axiom.

- Warren

The term "center of time" is nonsense. I recommend you review our posting guidelines before continuing this sort of discussion.

Chroot, a number of points;

1) Einstein Minkowsy space time implicitly referrs to the centre of time with the aid of a descriptive analogue of what is commonly referred to as light cones.
( a link below just to refresh your memory )

http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/minkowski.html

2) These light cones describe clearly the relationship of future and past events for a light ray.
3) This relationship with light ray and time is the very essence of relativity.
4) To censor someone else in an intimidating way due to your own misunderstanding of the posters question does not reflect your true value to this board and more importantly to the posters.
5) You say that invariance is a postulate ( I agree) and I ask you to describe and discuss how this postulate is arrived at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Sieger said:
Chroot, a number of points;

1) Einstein Minkowsy space time implicitly referrs to the centre of time with the aid of a descriptive analogue of what is commonly referred to as light cones.
( a link below just to refresh your memory )
The link you provided does not include the term "centre of time." You made this term up, and it's nonsense.
2) These light cones describe clearly the relationship of future and past events for a light ray.
The light cone is the locus of points in spacetime which have null intervals to or from some chosen point in spacetime.
3) This relationship with light ray and time is the very essence of relativity.
I don't think you know much relativity.
4) To censor someone else in an intimidating way due to your own misunderstanding of the posters question does not reflect your true value to this board and more importantly to the posters.
Then go elsewhere.
5) You say that invariance is a postulate ( I agree) and I ask you to describe and discuss how this postulate is arrived at.
It's a postulate. You don't "arrive" at postulates. You choose postulates willfully, then explore the conclusions resulting from those postulates. If, as in the case of relativity, the conclusions match experiments, then you can accept the axioms as being valid.

- Warren

The light cone is the locus of points in spacetime which have null intervals to or from some chosen point in spacetime.

so we agree that the centre of the cones represents a null point that exists in space time? as in future and past...

and that this null point is invariant, thus invariance exists

the photons existence is placed where in spacetime? or more importantly in what time - future, null point , or past?

Okay, Quantum Quack, we've had enough. Goodbye already. On your way out, why not pick up a book on relativity and actually try to learn something?

- Warren

1. What is meant by "time is absolute for the photon"?

This phrase refers to the concept of time dilation for photons, which is a fundamental principle of special relativity. According to this principle, time appears to stand still from the perspective of a photon, meaning that it experiences no passage of time as it travels at the speed of light.

2. Is time truly absolute for photons?

While it may seem counterintuitive, according to the laws of physics, time is indeed absolute for photons. This means that they do not experience time passing, even though they are constantly in motion.

3. How does this concept affect our understanding of time and the universe?

The idea of time dilation for photons has significant implications for our understanding of time and the universe. It challenges our traditional understanding of time as a constant, and it also sheds light on the relationship between space and time. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and helps explain phenomena such as the twin paradox.

4. Can anything travel at the speed of light besides photons?

According to the theory of relativity, no object with mass can travel at the speed of light. Only massless particles, such as photons, can reach this speed. However, objects with mass can approach the speed of light, but they will experience time dilation and other effects that make it impossible to reach the speed of light.

5. How do scientists study the concept of time dilation for photons?

Scientists use a variety of methods, such as particle accelerators and astronomical observations, to study the behavior of photons and their relationship to time. These experiments have confirmed the validity of special relativity and the concept of time dilation for photons.